Getting Data In

Timeout when configuring Proofpoint TAP SIEM Modular Input

hettervik
Builder

I've installed the Proofpoint TAP SIEM Add-on version 1.3.140, and I'm trying to configure a modular input on my heavy forwarder under "Settings" -> "Data Inputs" -> "Proofpoint TAP SIEM Modular Input". However, after filling out all the required fields and clicking "next", the page just hangs for a while, and then produce the following error message. 

Encountered the following error while trying to save: Splunkd daemon is not responding: ('Error connecting to /servicesNS/bob/launcher/data/inputs/proofpoint_tap_siem: The read operation timed out',)

I also can see the following error messages in the splunkd log.

06-03-2021 16:11:00.622 +0200 WARN  HttpListener - Socket error from 127.0.0.1:36448 while accessing /servicesNS/bob/launcher/data/inputs/proofpoint_tap_siem: Broken pipe
06-03-2021 16:11:00.622 +0200 INFO  ModularInputs - Argument validation for scheme=proofpoint_tap_siem: script running failed (killed by signal 9: Killed).
06-03-2021 16:11:00.619 +0200 ERROR ModularInputs - Argument validation for scheme=proofpoint_tap_siem: killing process, because executing it took too long (over 30000 msecs).

I don't have any other performance problems on my HF, so I don't get why I always get the timeout. For the record I've tried several times, but same error message every time.

Have anyone encountered this before and have any tricks for fixing it?

Labels (2)
1 Solution

hettervik
Builder

Sorry for not updating this thread earlier. It's a while ago since I worked with this, but if I remember correctly the problem was not related to performance at all, even though the error messages might indicate so.

Think this worked out after ensuring that the user account and password was correct and that there were no firewalls blocking the request from Splunk to Proofpoint. My understanding is that the Proofpoint TAP SIEM Add-on runs a test on the data input settings before saving them, which includes actually connecting to Proofpoint with the credentials, so you cannot pre-save the data input before everything else is in order as well.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

raz_gp
Explorer

Same issue.

+0000 ERROR ModularInputs [18816 TcpChannelThread] - Argument validation for scheme=proofpoint_tap_siem: killing process, because executing it took too long (over 30000 msecs).

For me , i saw this was an OS issue. On Ubuntu the input works, the Redhat boxes dont so .. 

0 Karma

hettervik
Builder

Sorry for not updating this thread earlier. It's a while ago since I worked with this, but if I remember correctly the problem was not related to performance at all, even though the error messages might indicate so.

Think this worked out after ensuring that the user account and password was correct and that there were no firewalls blocking the request from Splunk to Proofpoint. My understanding is that the Proofpoint TAP SIEM Add-on runs a test on the data input settings before saving them, which includes actually connecting to Proofpoint with the credentials, so you cannot pre-save the data input before everything else is in order as well.

0 Karma

gurlest
Path Finder

We are having this same issue and for us the resolution was to remove $decideOnStartup from the host field when creating the input.

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Make sure you are not using the old Splunk version because I remember an issue related to "Broken pipe" with Splunk version something before 7.2.x (I don't remember exactly).

On the latest version of Splunk, this could be an Add-on code issue.

0 Karma

sochase
Observer

Any updates on this?

0 Karma

radam2000
Path Finder

I have this exact same issue and error message. Adding myself to this thread...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...