Getting Data In

The header order changes in my monitored CSV file. Is there a way to have the forwarded data follow this order dynamically?

riotto
Path Finder

I am monitoring a file that has comma separated values. For example: John, Smith, Maine

The data is being forwarded by a Universal Forwarder. I have the props.conf and transforms.conf set up to receive the data as: firstname, lastname, state

When I search in Splunk -- firstname=John, lastname=Smith, state=Maine

Here's the problem, the order of the data can change in the file, so my fields contain the wrong type of data. Is there a way to
to have the data follow its order dynamically? There is a header that is sent that tells me when the order changes.

0 Karma

dmaislin_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Check out indexed_extractions and leverage these new options to extract the structured data fields. NOTE: The indexed_extractions = CSV settings from props.conf are used on the FORWARDER. This method will always ensure that the fields are extracted correctly every time based on the header in the file.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.0/Data/Extractfieldsfromfileswithstructureddata

0 Karma

riotto
Path Finder

doesn't the indexed_extractions do indexed time extraction, which I see in lots of documentation to avoid?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...