Getting Data In

Syslog (Snare) WinEvent and Heavy Forwarder without UF on syslog

mlinde
Explorer

So I'm trying to get to a HEC/syslog type environment. Please don't tell me that sending WinEvents via syslog is dumb. I have a global policy issue at work where all log data must be collected and stored in syslog for 2 years, and that includes my WinEvents. Here's my situation. I have a syslog-ng (3.13) server that receives Snare WIndows Events. It then sends on data to a splunk Heavy Forwarder (currently using the stock syslog "log {};" command). I've installed both the Snare Explanded Syslog TA and the Splunk_Windows TA (6.0) on the HF and the SH. I have also modified the inputs and props for the Windows TA to enable the data I want and do some cleanup (I did read setup for the Windows TA).

However, my data in the SH is still listed with the correct host (in this example a domain controller), the source is the TCP port I'm receiving data on in splunk, and the sourcetype is syslog. Not snare_syslog, not winevent_syslog (or whatever that sourcetype is).

I'm confused and stuck. Even if I migrate to a syslog-http-HEC environment (it's in dev right now) how do I get splunk to properly format the incoming data with extracted fields and the correct sourcetype in this design?

Labels (3)

mlinde
Explorer

Also, I get no field extraction at all (I couldn't figure out how to go back and edit the original post)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...