Getting Data In

Syslog Data Reaching Forwarder?

itsmevic
Communicator

Hello, I need to check to see if Syslog data is reaching my forwarders.  What would be the best query to use to check this?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

General_Talos
Path Finder

As per my understanding for syslog server logs monitoring, you have to install a Splunk UF agent on syslog server and perform "file & folder monitoring" (to the logs which you want to onboard into Splunk).

Within input.conf you define logs details like

index = XYZ
sourcetype= ABC

if your logs are reporting to Splunk, you can check it by

| tstats count where index=ZYX sourcetype=ABC by sourcetype _time 
|timechart sum(count) as count by sourcetype

View solution in original post

General_Talos
Path Finder

As per my understanding for syslog server logs monitoring, you have to install a Splunk UF agent on syslog server and perform "file & folder monitoring" (to the logs which you want to onboard into Splunk).

Within input.conf you define logs details like

index = XYZ
sourcetype= ABC

if your logs are reporting to Splunk, you can check it by

| tstats count where index=ZYX sourcetype=ABC by sourcetype _time 
|timechart sum(count) as count by sourcetype

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @itsmevic,

you can run a simple search on the index where you store the logs that you ingest with that input from your syslog.

You can recognize them using the host field.

in other words:

index=your_index host=your_host

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...