Getting Data In

Support for logs compressed with xz?

hatchmt
Engager

The version of SUSE Linux I'm using has been compressing my logs with xz (by default) rather than gzip or bzip2. As such, when I added the log directory into splunk, there's a large gap where those files couldn't be parsed.

I can go through and unxz all of the logs and use bzip2 to compress them, and change logrotate to use bzip2 instead of xz, but I do like that xz achieves higher compression ratios than bzip2. I'm assuming that the decompression algorithms supported by splunk are hard-coded, but I thought I'd ask if it's something I can modify on my end to add support for that file type.

If not, is this something that is being considered for a future release?

juanlazarosanch

Hatchmt, were you able to read xz files? If so, what steps did you follow? Thanks!

0 Karma

ichaer_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You can enable any sort of decompression setting the unarchive_cmd configuration in props.conf for your input. If you want to pick xz files by default, something like this should work:

[source::.../*.xz]
unarchive_cmd = /usr/bin/xz -cd -

If you already have a specific stanza in props.conf for that particular source, you'll need to tweak it.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...