Getting Data In

Summary index syslog events doing line merge

vcarbona
Path Finder

A colleague of mine is summary indexing syslog events from a bigger syslog index. He's doing this to have a more focused and quicker search of the data. However, the syslog events in the summary index are merging from time to time which makes reporting by field impossible. I know with regular indexes there is a SHOULD_LINEMERGE configuration setting, but is there a way to configure the summary index that way? I'm afraid to break something if I add a "SHOULD_LINEMERGE = False" to the "stash" sourcetype.

Additional question: Is it appropriate to put entire events into a summary index? I always thought that summary indexing was used to store aggregated data and not actual entire events.

0 Karma

hazekamp
Builder

vcarbona,

You are correct in that summary indexes typically contain aggregated data and not actual events.

If you desire a smaller subset of actual events consider creating an index to route specific events based on some criteria.

I would not recommend changing any of the default behavior for the stash sourcetype as this is likely to have adverse affects.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...