Getting Data In

Strip "Original Address" text in splunk

nishan_perera
Explorer

Hi,

i would like to strip the "Original Address" Text that splunk appends. How do i do this ?

Original Address=xx.xx.x.x 1 2015-01-15T14:28:51.341+11:00......................................... 

Cheers

Tags (2)
0 Karma

trsavela
Path Finder

If the host name is part of the filename you can extract that with

host_regex = <reg_ex>

in your inputs.conf. If the name is not on the file name a transform it is.

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Hi nishan_perera,

Like @chanfoli wrote, this caused by the forwarding syslog server. You can fix it in Splunk by using a transformation.
It should be done on the indexer(s). You will need two files, props.conf and transforms.conf, both of them in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local. I will assume that this is the only data that is coming from the syslog server, and that the syslog server is named syslogServer (for my example).

props.conf

[host::syslogServer]
TRANSFORMS-t1=rename_host

transforms.conf

[rename_host]
REGEX=Original Address\=(\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3})
DEST_KEY=MetaData:Host
FORMAT=host::$1

This transformation will be applied to data from the host as it is indexed. Data already in the index will not be affected.

cheers, MuS

chanfoli
Builder

I think Original Address data is actually present in the input before splunk gets it. This is a common thing for syslog implentations to do. Can you elaborate on why you think that splunk is appending this to your events/results?

0 Karma

nishan_perera
Explorer

when i check the syslog before it gets forwarded to splunk it looks like this.

2015-01-14 00:00:06 Local0.Info xx.xx.xxx.xx    1 2015-01-13T23:59:04.196+11:00.............

So splunk basically append "Original Address=" infront of the Source IP

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...