Getting Data In

Splunkforwarder fishbucket and salt used to create hashes

govardha
Path Finder

I have a csv file that I am monitoring with the props.conf for the sourcetype associated with this file with the parameter CHECK_METHOD = modtime set.

This works well, but I occasionally have a scenario where I need to get the fishbucket to "forget" the file being monitored.  I tried the usual procedure using btprobe and reset

$SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk cmd btprobe -d $SPLUNK_DB/var/lib/splunk/fishbucket/splunk_private_db/ --file < full path of somefile.csv> --reset

btprobe says it is unable to find the file.  I further went down this rabbit hole and tried to find the hash of the file in question, but once again no luck.

$SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk cmd btprobe --compute-crc < full path of somefile.csv>
Using logging configuration at /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/log-cmdline.cfg.
crc=0x5db5b08c29b4b08d decimal=6752497332353544333

I used the crc and tried to grep for it
$SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk cmd btprobe -d $SPLUNK_DB/var/lib/splunk/fishbucket/splunk_private_db/ -k ALL | egrep 0x5db5b08c29b4b08d

$SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk cmd btprobe --compute-crc < full path of somefile.csv> -salt < full path of somefile.csv>

Using logging configuration at /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/log-cmdline.cfg.
crc=0xa5cb29c8fe9d6ace decimal=11946688379772299982

I used the crc and tried to grep for it
$SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk cmd btprobe -d $SPLUNK_DB/var/lib/splunk/fishbucket/splunk_private_db/ -k ALL | egrep 0xa5cb29c8fe9d6ace

I tried this too, I *know* the splunkforwarder is monitoring the file,  as btools & inputslist and monitor etc are all showing the file, what am I missing?  Any help is greatly appreciated.  I am really stumped here.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Hi
You could check the status of this file by splunk list inputstatus on UF. https://community.splunk.com/t5/Getting-Data-In/Are-there-any-easier-way-to-check-file-monitoring-st...
0 Karma

govardha
Path Finder

Thank you for your response, that was one of the commands I used to confirm the file is indeed being monitored, I just need the fishbucket to "forget" it and re-ingest it and I am trying to get the btprobe reset method which unfortunately doesn't work.

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Have you tried btprobe without trailing / on fishbucket path?
0 Karma

govardha
Path Finder

Sure did, when I do -k ALL it lists ALL the stuff that is being monitored. 

When I do ./splunk inputstatus list, I see the file in question being monitored.

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Without last / also when you are doing —reset or only in list. And you are using same user than what you are using when reading those files?
0 Karma

govardha
Path Finder

Take your pick, reset/list, I have tried it all.  All the stuff is being done as the user running the UF.

I just get "record not found" when I tried to do "reset"

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...