Getting Data In

Splunk v5 Forwarder

DaveSavage
Builder

Does anybody know, or could advise whether v5 can be used as a heavy forwarder to a 4.3 back end please? I did read the doco, promise...including p11 on known issues. The v5 installed ok on a Linux box including the usual suspects re accepting the T's & C's. The service is running ok. The Indexer is Windows based, all 64 bit.
Thanks guys.

0 Karma
1 Solution

DaveSavage
Builder

Forget that last guys, just Wiresharked it...it was my network. Level 2 Dave, Level 2...gah.

View solution in original post

Jon_Webster
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes. Any Forwarder of 4.2+ can be used to send to a 4.2+ indexer, so a 5.x Heavy Forwarder can send to a 4.3 Indexer.

From the Splunk doc:

4.2+/5.0+ forwarders (universal/light/heavy) are backwards compatible down to 4.2+ indexers. For example, a 4.3 forwarder can send data to a 4.2 indexer but not to a 4.1 indexer.

Pre-4.2 forwarders are backwards compatible down to 4.0 indexers.

All indexers are backwards compatible with any forwarder and can receive data from any earlier version forwarder. For example, a 4.2 indexer can receive data from a 4.1 forwarder.

DaveSavage
Builder

Forget that last guys, just Wiresharked it...it was my network. Level 2 Dave, Level 2...gah.

Drainy
Champion

Someone downvoted your answer on your question, I upvoted it again to return the balance to 0 🙂 If someone genuinely answers a question or explains the cause then regardless of if someone did it by mistake, you can't downvote it as a bad answer... because its the answer! Anyway, rant over, nothing to see here...

0 Karma

DaveSavage
Builder

Damn ...did I down vote something Drainy?! Was it me? I shouldn't feel qualified to have an opinion on this. I've been using a Kindle Fire recently to access the SplunkBase if away from a desktop, and have to say it has yielded some 'unpredictable results'! I know...don't blame the technology 😉

0 Karma

Drainy
Champion

Why on earth would you downvote an answer someone posts which explains the solution to their problem? Glad you got it sorted

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...