Getting Data In

Splunk sourcetype naming convention

gauravmsharma
Path Finder

I am dynamically extracting a sourctype using props.conf and tranform.conf file. But the extraction is not working as expected. 

The soucetype i am extracting is "eu_test_splunktest_internal_dev" but it seems the splunk is only displaying "eu_test_ "as a sourctype and it's trimming rest of the part.

Is there a splunk offical page which defines any kind of restriction on sourctype name  or i can have the mentioned name as a sourctype?

Labels (1)

vikramyadav
Contributor

If you want to override a source type, you must configure the setting in props.conf on the forwarder where the input is configured.

To override source type assignment, add a stanza for your source to props.conf . In the stanza, identify the source path, using regular expression (regex) syntax for flexibility if necessary. Then specify the source type by including a sourcetype attribute. For example:
[source::.../var/log/abc.log(.\d+)?]
sourcetype=abc

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.6/Data/Bypassautomaticsourcetypeassignment

-----------------------------------------------------------
If this helps, your like will be appreciated. 😊

0 Karma

gauravmsharma
Path Finder

This is not my query here.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi  @gauravmsharma,

when you say "dynamically extracting a sourctype using props.conf and tranform.conf file", you mean the in the pros.conf stanza title you use the  "eu_test_splunktest_internal_dev", is it correct?

I am not aware that there are limits in the length of the sourcetypes, but for safety you could try to add a sourcetype using the web gui [Settings -- Source types -- New Source type] and see if there's a limit.

For my knowledge the only limit is to not use some special chars like *, ", <, >, etc...

Check the props.conf to see if there aren't spaces in the sourcetype stanza's title.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

gauravmsharma
Path Finder

No, i am trying to overide the sourcetype using regex, as available in below documentation.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Data/Advancedsourcetypeoverrides

The source type is override based on the regex which i have written in tranform.conf file.

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @gauravmsharma,

in my knowledge there isn't any reason to trim the sourcetype in overriding.

Have you the same problem using a sourcetype with the same number of chars but without special chars?

e.g.: eutestsplunktestinternaldev1234

If yes, there's an undocumented limit to the number of chars, so I hint to open a Case to Splunk Support.

If not, check the special chars you're using and see if you avoid to use them.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...