Getting Data In

Splunk doesn't format Sysmon JSON correctly

Vyber90
Explorer

That's the problem. I have a Sysmon JSON to examine but, although in the "Add Data" section everything looks OK, once I get to the search time Events are joined and split without pattern.

After I thought about it a second, I noticed that the document did not have timestamps and Splunk was complaining about it, so I solved it but the issue was still there.

The problem looks like this:

Vyber90_0-1624704356997.png

Sometimes the Event begins OK but melts with other events before its end, and others (like the upper example) don't have a heading.

I'm not using any plug-ins or apps. Just clicked on Add Data, selected the document as a non-timestamped JSON, and started searching. How would you solve this? the JSON to be analyzed is downloadable from Blue Team Labs Online.

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

verbal_666
Builder

You have to check:

1) the inputs.conf, which sourcetype are you using?
2) the size of events... i have many json which are larger than 10.000 bytes per event, so Splunk truncate them (by default, to lighten the aggregation/parsing process)!
3) if, in point 2, events are more than 10.000 bytes each, you have to aggregate them in props.conf with a TRUNCATE = 0 in the [searchtype_used] stanza,

TRUNCATE = <non-negative integer>
* The default maximum line length, in bytes.
* Although this is in bytes, line length is rounded down when this would
  otherwise land mid-character for multi-byte characters.
* Set to 0 if you never want truncation (very long lines are, however, often
  a sign of garbage data).
* Default: 10000

You can watch truncated events in splunkd.log of the Indexer(s). If you have an HF, could be it to truncate before Indexer(s),

WARN LineBreakingProcessor - Truncating line because limit of 10000 bytes has been exceeded with a line length >= 65536 - data_source="/xxxxxxxxxx/xxxxxxxxxx", data_host="xxxxxxxxxx", data_sourcetype="xxxxxxxxxx"

4) if the problem is not the truncate, maybe you could use the default "_json" sourcetype or the

INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS = <CSV|TSV|PSV|W3C|JSON|HEC>

method to parse the correct events.

You have to try which method is better.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

verbal_666
Builder

You have to check:

1) the inputs.conf, which sourcetype are you using?
2) the size of events... i have many json which are larger than 10.000 bytes per event, so Splunk truncate them (by default, to lighten the aggregation/parsing process)!
3) if, in point 2, events are more than 10.000 bytes each, you have to aggregate them in props.conf with a TRUNCATE = 0 in the [searchtype_used] stanza,

TRUNCATE = <non-negative integer>
* The default maximum line length, in bytes.
* Although this is in bytes, line length is rounded down when this would
  otherwise land mid-character for multi-byte characters.
* Set to 0 if you never want truncation (very long lines are, however, often
  a sign of garbage data).
* Default: 10000

You can watch truncated events in splunkd.log of the Indexer(s). If you have an HF, could be it to truncate before Indexer(s),

WARN LineBreakingProcessor - Truncating line because limit of 10000 bytes has been exceeded with a line length >= 65536 - data_source="/xxxxxxxxxx/xxxxxxxxxx", data_host="xxxxxxxxxx", data_sourcetype="xxxxxxxxxx"

4) if the problem is not the truncate, maybe you could use the default "_json" sourcetype or the

INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS = <CSV|TSV|PSV|W3C|JSON|HEC>

method to parse the correct events.

You have to try which method is better.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...