Getting Data In

Splunk alert unable to trigger .bat file

ibob0304
Communicator

My Splunk alert unable to trigger any executable file.
For instance, I have placed reader.bat file in Splunk scripts directory and triggered from splunk alert.

I got this error in splunkd logs.

09-13-2016 22:15:04.968 -0500 ERROR script - sid:scheduler__admin_VUNfTU9E__RMD5707bf18d75962871_at_1473822900_176 command="runshellscript", Error while executing script [Error 193] %1 is not a valid Win32 application

This is weird error for me because I get this error every time even for empty entry in .bat file.

.bat file example
echo The name of this file is: %~nx0

Moreover, I tried triggering .ps1 but still get same error.

I am using splunk enterprise on windows 7

0 Karma
1 Solution

ibob0304
Communicator

The Problem was solved unexpectedly, after struggling for more than 30hrs with a simple trick.

SOLUTION

1. Delete the Splunk x64 bit (basically your current running Splunk).
 2. Make sure to check the left over directories or files under installation directory (In my case: C:\Program Files\).
 3. Reboot your machine.
 4. ReInstall the Splunk x64 bit version in C:\ drive (not under C:\Program Files)
 5. Current installation Directory is C:\Splunk.
 6. This technique working now on all other PC's as well.

I have tried so many methods and techniques before finding this solution, but none of the troubleshooting methods or forum answers helped me in this particular case. Things I did are listed below.

NOT WORKED

- By setting java and Python environment variables.
- I reinstalled and installed in the same path (C:\Program Files\Splunk). 
- Updating Splunk
- Reloading Config files
- Replacing Python lib files with older version Python lib files.
- Thought Its my PC problem, so installed Splunk on 2 more friends laptops.
- Replacing Python lib files with latest Python 3.* files.
- Setting 'savedsearch.conf' in-app level and tried to trigger the .bat file using conf file.
- Modifying some Windows Registry keys
- By checking 'Program' file under C:\ drive which may cause the error (mentioned in some blogs).
- Updating Windows and security patches.
- Creating an empty file ftr (no idea why? but suggested by @inventsekar ) 
- checking the Win32 error may come due to the spaces in the paths and registry keys (Microsoft blog suggestions).
- Reporting this issue to Splunk base.
- And lot more useless tweaks. 

I have installed/reinstalled almost more than 10times in this process.

And I don't understand why it was not worked before when I installed under Program Files. Now Splunk re-installed in my friend's laptops and it triggering .bat files as expected. It's totally Weird Looking for findings for this problem.

View solution in original post

ibob0304
Communicator

The Problem was solved unexpectedly, after struggling for more than 30hrs with a simple trick.

SOLUTION

1. Delete the Splunk x64 bit (basically your current running Splunk).
 2. Make sure to check the left over directories or files under installation directory (In my case: C:\Program Files\).
 3. Reboot your machine.
 4. ReInstall the Splunk x64 bit version in C:\ drive (not under C:\Program Files)
 5. Current installation Directory is C:\Splunk.
 6. This technique working now on all other PC's as well.

I have tried so many methods and techniques before finding this solution, but none of the troubleshooting methods or forum answers helped me in this particular case. Things I did are listed below.

NOT WORKED

- By setting java and Python environment variables.
- I reinstalled and installed in the same path (C:\Program Files\Splunk). 
- Updating Splunk
- Reloading Config files
- Replacing Python lib files with older version Python lib files.
- Thought Its my PC problem, so installed Splunk on 2 more friends laptops.
- Replacing Python lib files with latest Python 3.* files.
- Setting 'savedsearch.conf' in-app level and tried to trigger the .bat file using conf file.
- Modifying some Windows Registry keys
- By checking 'Program' file under C:\ drive which may cause the error (mentioned in some blogs).
- Updating Windows and security patches.
- Creating an empty file ftr (no idea why? but suggested by @inventsekar ) 
- checking the Win32 error may come due to the spaces in the paths and registry keys (Microsoft blog suggestions).
- Reporting this issue to Splunk base.
- And lot more useless tweaks. 

I have installed/reinstalled almost more than 10times in this process.

And I don't understand why it was not worked before when I installed under Program Files. Now Splunk re-installed in my friend's laptops and it triggering .bat files as expected. It's totally Weird Looking for findings for this problem.

aaraneta_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi @ibob0304 - I'm glad the fruits of your labor paid off and that you were able to troubleshoot and answer your own question. Please don't forget to resolve the post by clicking "Accept" below your answer (and so you can give yourself karma points :D). Thanks!

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you haven't shared the alert it'll live in etc/users/yourusername/someapp/local.

0 Karma

ibob0304
Communicator

it didn't work anyway. Same error everytime.

0 Karma

inventsekar
Ultra Champion

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/36763/splunkweb-starts-then-ends-and-the-service-is-stopped.html

This situation seems to happen when there was a previous Splunk instance running under C:\ and then an uncomplete uninstall was not performed ( not sure if because of the uninstall program or what ) and in the registry there are still reference of the old Splunk Instance.

In particular after performing an uninstall there was this suspicious entry still there:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Python\PythonService

You can try:

1) Stop Splunk
2) Make a backup of buckets and configuration files
3) Uninstall Splunk
4) Search the registry with every entry with Splunk and/or Python on it and clean them
5) Perform a full installation
6) restore the configuration files & buckets
7) create an empty file called ftr under %SPLUNK_HOME%
8) Restart Splunk

Alternatively you can try to remove only the python key above and perform another upgrade on top of your %SPLUNK_HOME

OR -
Tried removing the patches, but no good. I fixed it by:

Installing all Windows patches

Shutting down Splunk services

Backing up \var and \etc directories.

Uninstalling Splunk

Deleting any leftover directories

Reinstalling Splunk

Shut down Splunk services

Renaming \var and \etc directories

Copying the backed-up \var and \etc directories back into the Splunk directory

Restarting Splunk services.

All good now!

0 Karma

ibob0304
Communicator

I have tried the both methods, It doesn't work. Even my second windows system also facing the same error. Something Splunk Community has to look into this issue. I updated today morning to the latest Splunk and still it exists. It is not at all triggering any kind of external script . I even tried to trigger .path file and still get the same error. WIN32 error is kind of weird problem and no proper solution in blogs as well.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What does your alert.script setting in savedsearches.conf look like?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...