Getting Data In

Splunk Forwarder issue

saotaigiri
Path Finder

A forwarder which was working before has stopped for up to a month now. After checking, it is confirmed that the forwarder is correctly configured, the service is running and reporting to the indexer, however there is no data showing on the indexer side or when a search is run on splunk  for that forwarder. Can someone please help me in the right direction?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

burwell
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I had those happen today. Restarting the forwarder fixed the problem.

0 Karma

thambisetty
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you check the servername in system/local/server.conf and host in system/local/inputs.conf 

The host and servername from Splunk config should match with server hostname.

and also take the guid from $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/instance.cfg and check in Search head to see how many forwarders are reporting with the GUID.

and also identify hostname associated with guid and check if its matching with server hostname.

————————————
If this helps, give a like below.
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It’s best practices that those three names are same. But those two inside splunk must not to be a server’s hostname. Time by time (e.g. AWS when hostname changes “all” time) is much better to fix it as splunk instance name instead of physical hos/node name. 

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you have MC installed then you could look from forwarder monitoring that it is there. If not installed then just look from index=_intenal host=<your forwarder>.

• Is your forwarder UF or HF?
  • And which kind of inputs there are configured?
  • Was there e.g. OS update or something else before sending stops?
  • What you found from forwarders logs ?

r. Ismo

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...