Getting Data In

Splunk Forwarder from public server to local server on a network

johnnykhoueiry
Explorer

Hello,

I was able to set splunk forwarder from local server to local splunk server on our network.
How can i set it from a public server to send records to that same splunk hosted on our local server ?

This is the error i currently receive:
01-11-2018 03:14:26.364 -0500 ERROR TcpOutputProc - Processing server from outputs.conf: can't resolve a valid IP address for host="ourhost"

Thank you.

0 Karma
1 Solution

micahkemp
Champion

It sounds to me like your forwarder is unable to resolve the hostname. From that server try these to help troubleshoot:

ping ourhost

dig ourhost

If your forwarder can't resolve the hostname to an IP address, you should first determine why. If it's a reasonable answer (split horizon DNS, etc), perhaps you just need to hardcode the IP address into outputs.conf. Or perhaps work on getting the name resolvable by DNS.

View solution in original post

micahkemp
Champion

It sounds to me like your forwarder is unable to resolve the hostname. From that server try these to help troubleshoot:

ping ourhost

dig ourhost

If your forwarder can't resolve the hostname to an IP address, you should first determine why. If it's a reasonable answer (split horizon DNS, etc), perhaps you just need to hardcode the IP address into outputs.conf. Or perhaps work on getting the name resolvable by DNS.

nickhills
Ultra Champion

There are several things to consider before doing this with real data.

1.) You will want to configure your 'receiving' server to have a TLS listener.
2.) Ensure your forwarder is configured to send TLS data only.
You want to do both of these things, because otherwise your events (which may contain all of your sensitive data) will be sent in clear text
3.) You will need to make sure your 'receiving' server has a rule on your firewall, as well as any NAT or IP configuration to make it accessible from the public internet on your TLS port.
4.) You might want to consider installing a heavy forwarder as your 'receiving' server. Generally speaking it would be considered bad practice to put indexers directly on the internet - although sometimes 'needs must'.
5.) You should make sure you keep on top of Splunk & OS updates on your receiving server. Its also a good idea to restrict other Splunk ports (web/app/kv/mgt) ports so that you can only access them from your LAN. - Perhaps use your firewall to restrict to the IP of your forwarder.
6.) Consider if you can use the HEC which is more suited to sending events across the internet.
7.) Confirm that your forwarder has a direct route to the internet - if your traffic is marshalled through a proxy server, you may encounter issues on the forwarding side.
8.) Finally, confirm the IP address is rout able (some ISPs do nasty things to prevent this) and that any DNS name you have configured, correctly resolves to your IP.

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!

mayurr98
Super Champion

you can try putting dns name instead of ip address

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...