Getting Data In

Splunk Enterprise Trial version - Need to change the index name

VijaySrrie
Builder

Hi,

I have downloaded Splunk enterprise Trial version for Windows 64 bit. Only the Search Head is accessible?
I created a text file and got into splunk and I could see the logs under main index if suppose I need to change the name of the index where should I change? or due to trial version all the logs by default goes to main index?

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The trial version of Splunk is a standalone instance - a combined search head and indexer.

It's not clear what is meant by "change the name of the index".

If you want to have your data go to an index other than "main", it's a matter of changing the appropriate inputs.conf file. Replace index = main with index = <something else> in the stanza for your text file. <something else> will be the name of an index from Settings->Indexes.

If you want to change the name of index 'main' to something else, that can be done. Stop Splunk, edit indexes.conf and change main to <some new name> throughout. Rename the index directory $SPLUNK_HOME/var/lib/splunk/main to $SPLUNK_HOME/var/lib/splunk/<some new name> then start Splunk.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The trial version of Splunk is a standalone instance - a combined search head and indexer.

It's not clear what is meant by "change the name of the index".

If you want to have your data go to an index other than "main", it's a matter of changing the appropriate inputs.conf file. Replace index = main with index = <something else> in the stanza for your text file. <something else> will be the name of an index from Settings->Indexes.

If you want to change the name of index 'main' to something else, that can be done. Stop Splunk, edit indexes.conf and change main to <some new name> throughout. Rename the index directory $SPLUNK_HOME/var/lib/splunk/main to $SPLUNK_HOME/var/lib/splunk/<some new name> then start Splunk.

---

VijaySrrie
Builder

Is it possible to stop the Splunk from GUI ? do the necessary changes in GUi ?
If not from GUI where can I find the indexes.conf file?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can restart Splunk from the GUI, but you cannot stop it (how would you start it?).
Indexes cannot be renamed from the GUI.
Inputs can be changed to send to a different index via the GUI.
The Linux find command can help you find the indexes.conf files. find /opt/splunk -name indexes.conf. Or use find /opt/splunk -name indexes.conf -print0 | xargs -r0 egrep "index\s=\sfoo" to references to index 'foo'.

---
0 Karma

VijaySrrie
Builder

ok Thank You

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...