Getting Data In

Splunk DB Connect - ERROR io.dropwizard.jersey.errors.LoggingExceptionMapper - Error handling a request:

spl_unker
Explorer

Im setting up a new DB connect to pull data from MS SQL server 2016 database to splunk :

1. Downloaded the latest version of DB Connect 3.3.1

2. Downloaded sqljdbc_4.2  driver and moved the move the sqljdbc42.jar file to the $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/splunk_app_db_connect/drivers directory 

3. Created Identity

4. While creating a connection i get the the following error.

[dw-760 - POST /api/connections/status] ERROR io.dropwizard.jersey.errors.LoggingExceptionMapper - Error handling a request: 5b6a559a6b1b46d9 java.lang.NullPointerException: null at com.splunk.dbx.connector.logger.AuditLogger.replace(AuditLogger.java:50) at com.splunk.dbx.connector.logger.AuditLogger.error(AuditLogger.java:44) at com.splunk.dbx.server.api.service.database.impl.DatabaseMetadataServiceImpl.getStatus(DatabaseMetadataServiceImpl.java:159).

5.I verified the identity has given a read permission for the DB im trying to query.

Please let me know if this issue is encountered by someone. Thanks in Advance

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

chli_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

We fixed the error message of "NullPointerException"  in DBX 3.3.1 to print the real error. Basically sth wrong about the DB connection, either credentials, driver compatibility, or DB connectivity. Maybe you can try DBX 3.2.0 to get the real error message, or contact our support team to provide the fixed 3.3.1 version(not released yet) for further triage.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

chli_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

We fixed the error message of "NullPointerException"  in DBX 3.3.1 to print the real error. Basically sth wrong about the DB connection, either credentials, driver compatibility, or DB connectivity. Maybe you can try DBX 3.2.0 to get the real error message, or contact our support team to provide the fixed 3.3.1 version(not released yet) for further triage.

0 Karma

jeffland
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

We're on 3.3.1 and I see the exact same error message, no details other than null pointer. Am I missing something?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Yes, you missed the accepted solution, which is to contact Splunk Support for the fix to DBX.
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

spl_unker
Explorer

Thank you. Raised a support ticket and got the updated jar from them which gives exact error and it turned out to be a FW issue.

Cheers

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
You should open a support case with Splunk.
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...