Getting Data In

Splunk Cloud Trial: Why am I getting "ERROR TcpOutputFd - Connection to host=(splunk-cloud-ip):9997 failed" after setting up a universal forwarder on our EC2 instance?

pjoiner
Explorer

I signed up for a Splunk Cloud trial, and set up a universal forwarder on one of our EC2 instances. However, I keep getting this in splunkd.log:

ERROR TcpOutputFd - Connection to host=[ip address of input server]:9997 failed

I tried telnet to the ip/port and it was successful, so there should be no network-related issues.

If I go in the admin console to Settings->Forwarding and Receiving I see the message:

There was an error retrieving the configuration, can not process this page

Is there some additional configuration on either the admin or on our EC2 instance (universal forwarder) to get this to work? Or does the Splunk Cloud trial not allow contributing data to the instance?

0 Karma
1 Solution

pjoiner
Explorer

I found the cause of my issue. Although I could telnet to port 9997, the problem was that the EC2 instance did not have a direct path to the internet (i.e. was using a proxy). To test I used a different EC2 that had a direct path to the internet, and the forwarder started working correctly.

I had been told that there was no internet proxy/firewall for the first machine I had tried, but that information was not correct.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

pjoiner
Explorer

I found the cause of my issue. Although I could telnet to port 9997, the problem was that the EC2 instance did not have a direct path to the internet (i.e. was using a proxy). To test I used a different EC2 that had a direct path to the internet, and the forwarder started working correctly.

I had been told that there was no internet proxy/firewall for the first machine I had tried, but that information was not correct.

0 Karma

Sebastian2
Path Finder

Could you give us a little more information? outputs.conf of the forwarder and inputs.conf of the receiver? and maybe the $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/search/metadata/local.meta

0 Karma

Shinpo

outputs.conf
/opt/splunkforwarder/etc/system/local/outputs.conf

[tcpout]
defaultGroup = splunkcloud
disabled = false
maxQueueSize = 1500
indexAndForward = false
[tcpout:splunkcloud]
server = input-prd-p-pdsmk7bx6vlg.cloud.splunk.com:9997

inputs.conf
/opt/splunkforwarder/etc/system/local/inputs.conf

[default]
host = SyslogSRV
[monitor:///var/log/TEST-SYSLOG/test-sysLog.log]
[splunktcp-ssl://9997]

local.meta

[inputs/monitor%3A%2F%2F%2Fvar%2Flog%2FTEST-SYSLOG%2Ftest-sysLog.log]
owner = splunk-system-user
version = 6.3.1
modtime = 1447503002.498094000

[inputs/monitor%3A%2F%2F%2Fvar%2Flog%2Fsyslog]
owner = admin
version = 6.3.1
modtime = 1447516194.527718000

[inputs/monitor%3A%2F%2F%2Fvar%2Flog]
owner = admin
version = 6.3.1
modtime = 1447767752.634803000

[inputs/splunktcp%3A%2F%2F9997]
owner = admin
version = 6.3.1
modtime = 1447857226.751613000
0 Karma

Shinpo

I have the same problem ... anyone can help us ?

Best
Giovanni

0 Karma

pjoiner
Explorer

BTW the universal forwarder is running on Amazon Linux with the latest OS updates.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...