Getting Data In

Splunk API threat intelligence integration - Item Argument Missing

tisme
Engager

Hi, 

I'm trying to integrate an API feed into our threat intelligence collections via powershell, however I can't seem to get the syntax correctly to update records. I know the API and authentication is working as GET and DELETE requests are successful, but when attempting to execute a PUT request i receive the error "item argument missing".

I've tested below successfully, however I'd like to run this via powershell to encrypt credentials during authentication.

curl -k -u admin:changeme https://localhost:8089/services/data/threat_intel/item/ip_intel/e83fa2c5036d4c85bd5669a48ca134c5 -d item='{"ip":"0.0.0.0"}' -X PUT

I've attempted several different JSON formats, hoping the one below would work:

{  
"item": {
       "ip": "0.0.0.0"
         }
}

Or even 

item='[{"ip":"0.0.0.0"}]'

from the initial curl format, however it won't seem to work. I am still receiving the following error Invoke-WebRequest : {"status": false, "message": "item argument missing."}.

Any suggestions?

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

tisme
Engager

Thank you! Apologies, I meant to update I worked it out. Here is the below syntax I used for powershell to build the JSON and POST. 

$text = 'item=[{"'+ $IOCType + '":"' + $IOCInput + '","description":"' + $Description + '","threat_key":"<Company>_ThreatIntel"}]'

Try {Invoke-WebRequest -Method Post -Uri $URL -Timeout 3600 -Credential $credentials -ContentType application/x-www-form-urlencoded -Body $text -ErrorAction Stop}
Catch {PopUpBox -MessageBody "Could not post $IOC to Threat Intel Collection, exiting now" -MessageTitle "Sorry"; Exit}
}

If you are doing running via powershell, you'll have to add a function to specify TLS certificate as powershell defaults to something else.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

tisme
Engager

Thank you! Apologies, I meant to update I worked it out. Here is the below syntax I used for powershell to build the JSON and POST. 

$text = 'item=[{"'+ $IOCType + '":"' + $IOCInput + '","description":"' + $Description + '","threat_key":"<Company>_ThreatIntel"}]'

Try {Invoke-WebRequest -Method Post -Uri $URL -Timeout 3600 -Credential $credentials -ContentType application/x-www-form-urlencoded -Body $text -ErrorAction Stop}
Catch {PopUpBox -MessageBody "Could not post $IOC to Threat Intel Collection, exiting now" -MessageTitle "Sorry"; Exit}
}

If you are doing running via powershell, you'll have to add a function to specify TLS certificate as powershell defaults to something else.

0 Karma

feedaloodum
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Working on something similar in Python and got past this.

Try this....

data = { 'item': '{"ip": "1.1.1.1"}' }

The value of item is the dictionary.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...