Getting Data In

Simple Configuration/File Precedence Not Working

bkeif
Path Finder

Hi everyone,

I have Splunk_TA_aws and Splunk_TA_aws_knowledgeonly deployed to a distributed splunk environment from a deployment server. On the heavy forwarders UI we have configured inputs which get placed locally on the heavy forwarders in Splunk_TA_aws/local/inputs.conf. Now I need to adjust some search time extractions so on the deployment server I have edited Splunk_TA_aws_knowledgeonly/local/props.conf with my changes. This is so when I deploy config the local inputs on the heavy forwarders are not overwritten. It is my understanding that Splunk_TA_aws_knowledgeonly/local/props.conf should be able to overwrite Splunk_TA_aws/default/props.conf given that they contain the same stanza name but my search time extractions don't seem to be working. If I however simply move the file from Splunk_TA_aws_knowledgeonly/local/props.conf to Splunk_TA_aws/local/props.conf manually on a test server the extractions begin working immediately.

What am I doing wrong?

0 Karma

bkeif
Path Finder

I have been working with support for a little while now. So far we have determined that it is indeed tied to the name of the app somehow. If I rename Splunk_TA_aws_knowledgeonly/ to just knowledgeonly/ then the local/props in knowledgeonly/ overrides the default/props in Splunk_TA_aws/ as one would expect.

We believe it has something to do with app vs global context as outlined here:
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.3.0/Admin/Wheretofindtheconfigurationfiles
(scroll down to "Summary of the effect of directories on configuration precedence")

We also tried setting the props stanza priority manually via:
priority = 5
where the priority on local is manually set to a higher number and default is manuallyl set to a lower number.
This had no effect when using the folders Splunk_TA_aws/default and Splunk_TA_aws_knowledgeonly/local.

At this point I can deploy the config I wanted to by just using a different app name and I am confident that something specific with this TA is going on. I have many other apps with the same name prefix just like this which function fine. Support will continue to investigate but at this point I am stumped.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

The one app "that works" has a default.meta file that exports permissions to All apps AKA global whereas the other file does not. Copy the default.meta file from the working app to the non-working app.

0 Karma

bkeif
Path Finder

Another wise response,

When I deployed the _knowledge only app I made sure to copy the metadata. As you can see they are the same in both apps:

-bash-4.2$ cat Splunk_TA_aws*/metadata/*
# Application-level permissions

[]
access = read : [ * ], write : [ admin, power ]
export = system

[views/setup]
export = none

[html/Configuration]
owner = none
export = none

[html/Inputs]
owner = none
export = none

# Application-level permissions

[]
access = read : [ * ], write : [ admin, power ]
export = system

[views/setup]
export = none

[html/Configuration]
owner = none
export = none

[html/Inputs]
owner = none
export = none
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You are killin' me.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Are you using Splunk Enterprise Security and not the latest version and are you searching inside of that app scope? If so then you need to modify the whitelist to allow your app to work inside of ES:
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/ES/4.0.1/Install/InstallTechnologyAdd-ons#Import_add-ons_with_...
In the newest version of ES, this feature has been removed.

0 Karma

bkeif
Path Finder

An interesting perspective but no, ES is not on either of the search heads I am using to test.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

The app name definitely does not matter because the original is in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/whateverapp/default/whatever.conf (default) and the replacement is in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/whateverapp/local/whatever.conf (local) so the whateverapp makes no difference at all. My suspicion is that you are not deploying the apps to the correct place. If these are index-time extractions, then they must be deployed to the first full instance of splunk that handles the event (usually HF-tier or IDX-tier). If these are search-time extractoins, then they must be deployed to the Search Heads.

0 Karma

bkeif
Path Finder

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I am certain that these are search-time extractions. As I said above, if I simply move the config from one app to the other on a single search head and restart everything works on that search head.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...