Getting Data In

Setup screen with credentials and multiple endpoints

andrew_garvin
Path Finder

I am trying to create a setup screen for my app that will store passwords securely and also create a scripted input in inputs.conf. I want the setup screen to have only three fields (host, username, password). I want those three fields to be input into admin/passwords as realm=host, name=username, and password=password. At the same time, I want to create a new scripted input that would look something like: [script://MyScript.py host].

The script is already configured to pull the username and password from admin/passwords using the host parameter to identify the correct realm. This is necessary because there will be multiple scripts running against different hosts that will potentially have different usernames and passwords.

I have the setup.xml below working. It correctly inputs a new host/username/password combination and the script can read that successfully. But, I have to manually create the script entry in inputs.conf. How can I have the setup store the password securely and also create the scripted input in inputs.conf at the same time? Do I have to use a custom endpoint for that? If so, how can a custom endpoint write a password to admin/passwords?

<setup>
<block title="Add new host" endpoint="admin/passwords" entity="_new">
<input field="realm">
<label>Host</label>
<type>text</type>
</input>
<input field="name">
<label>Username</label>
<type>text</type>
</input>
<input field="password">
<label>Password</label>
<type>password</type>
</input>
</block>
</setup>

References:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Developer/SetupExampleCredentials

1 Solution

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The example that you should attempt to follow is probably this one.

As stated on that document, the general steps are as follows:

• Create a stanza in restmap.conf that maps your endpoint
  • Write a python script that initializes your setup screen and handles the user-entered values.
  • Write setup.xml.

The bulk of the work will be writing the python of the custom REST endpoint that setup.xml will call to perform the two actions you need:

• A POST to the /services/storage/passwords REST endpoint to store the username and password entered by the user. See this topic for the specifications of that endpoint.

• A POST to the /services/data/inputs/script REST endpoint to create the scripted input. See this topic for the specifications of that endpoint.

View solution in original post

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The example that you should attempt to follow is probably this one.

As stated on that document, the general steps are as follows:

• Create a stanza in restmap.conf that maps your endpoint
  • Write a python script that initializes your setup screen and handles the user-entered values.
  • Write setup.xml.

The bulk of the work will be writing the python of the custom REST endpoint that setup.xml will call to perform the two actions you need:

• A POST to the /services/storage/passwords REST endpoint to store the username and password entered by the user. See this topic for the specifications of that endpoint.

• A POST to the /services/data/inputs/script REST endpoint to create the scripted input. See this topic for the specifications of that endpoint.

rmk12a
0 Karma

andrew_garvin
Path Finder

Thank you hexx! This is what I needed. I got it working by using a couple setEntity() functions in the python to create both entries.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...