Getting Data In

Sending files as attachments over syslog protocol

shayhibah
Path Finder

Hi,

I would like to know if its possible to send files as attachments to Splunk directly from my syslog server.
If so, can anyone elaborate how to do that?

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Not really how it works, but you can send data in just about any format over syslog. On the receiving end the syslog server doesn't know if it should write in txt or png or doc or whatever format you sent though. You have to configure it as such. Splunk as a syslog receiver can't do much with encoded file types though. It's just going to write the 0s and 1s (most likely hexidecimal) that is inside the data file you sent.

The short answer is no, you don't send files as attachments in syslog. Instead you're streaming data through in whatever format you choose and syslog is going to write what it receives, along with a default msg header at the top of the syslog event (timestamp and host name it received the data from).

View solution in original post

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Not really how it works, but you can send data in just about any format over syslog. On the receiving end the syslog server doesn't know if it should write in txt or png or doc or whatever format you sent though. You have to configure it as such. Splunk as a syslog receiver can't do much with encoded file types though. It's just going to write the 0s and 1s (most likely hexidecimal) that is inside the data file you sent.

The short answer is no, you don't send files as attachments in syslog. Instead you're streaming data through in whatever format you choose and syslog is going to write what it receives, along with a default msg header at the top of the syslog event (timestamp and host name it received the data from).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...