Getting Data In

Sending Perfmon data to metrics index

andreasz
Path Finder

I would like to collect my windows perfmon data into a metrics index. Is this feature planned for the near future?

The reason: I've had very good experience with the new metrics index. Great performance and very powerfull mstats command (no extra data model plus acceleration jobs)

Thanks for your help in advance,
Andreas

0 Karma

maciep
Champion

Updated to include example

not on 7.x yet, so i can't try...but can your format the data on the way in to be in the right format for a metrics index?

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.0.1/Metrics/GetMetricsInOther

For example, to get the required indexed metric fields:

inputs.conf (uf):

[perfmon://CPU]
counters = % Processor Time; % User Time; % Privileged Time
disabled = 0
instances = *
interval = 60
object = Processor
useEnglishOnly=true
index = tester
sourcetype=perfmon:test

Props.conf (parsing layer):

[perfmon:test]
TRANSFORMS-metric = cpu_metric
TRANSFORMS-value = cpu_value

transforms.conf (parsing layer):

[cpu_metric]
REGEX = collection=(.+)[\s\S]*counter=(.+)[\s\S]*instance=(.+)
FORMAT = metric_name::$1.$3.$2
WRITE_META = true

[cpu_value]
REGEX = Value=(.+)
FORMAT = metric_value::$1
WRITE_META = true

This is sort of what I'm hoping to try when we upgrade, but I'm still worried about all of the indexed fields, but hopefully the metrics index file is more efficient/smaller than tsidx?

andreasz
Path Finder

To accomplish this, I would have to "hack" the splunk-perfmon.exe 😉

0 Karma

maciep
Champion

I didn't mean at the forwarder, but at parse time. So the data gets sent to your indexer/hf, and then you do some index-time extractions to get the fields you need. I was hoping to try something similar once we get upgrade to 7.x

Admittedly, I've never really looked into the parse/index time config for perfmon data, but I feel like this could be doable?

0 Karma

bsonposh
Communicator

I do believe they will enable this feature for v.next but the problem is one of cost. The currently implementation of perfmon data uses CSV which has a significantly lower data cost than metrics which is billed by each metric.

I believe the intent is to address this.

0 Karma

andreasz
Path Finder

Good point. I'm currently using the multikv mode and the data volume is really small

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

This can help - Monitor Windows performance

0 Karma

andreasz
Path Finder

@ddrillic: thanks for the answer, but I already know this document. I'm talking about the new Splunk 7 feature: metrics index.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...