Getting Data In

Select distinct events

bagojunk
Engager

Hello,

I need to go over every item in our syslogs so I was wondering - how would I do the equivalent of a "select distinct *" in such a way that it ignores anything unique to each event but only gives me 1 instance of each actual logged item, know what I mean? I basically want to exclude all multiples of any entry (unique device and event combo) and would estimate that of the 3M records we have I may be talking about a hundred or so uniques.

I am guessing that there is something obvious I have completely missed and I apologize if this is a dumb question.

Second, purging items (can you say flapping interfaces?) seems to be a search by sourcetype= but all our entries have the same sourcetype= value - how can I purge/perma-hide (pipe delete) based on a unique text string?

Thanks in advance

0 Karma
1 Solution

cphair
Builder

Hello bagojunk,

1. Pipe your search to "| dedup device,event" (or whatever the name of the fields are).
  2. Did you look at the examples for the delete command? One purges based on a regex and one on an exact string, so one of those should do what you want. Of course, do the search without the delete first to make sure you're pulling the right stuff, and make sure you have admin rights.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/4.3.2/SearchReference/Delete

View solution in original post

bagojunk
Engager

You guys are great - not to mention patient and not giving me crap for being deaf dumb and blind - I found the export option (right in front of me) and am pretty confident that the punct field gives me a significant head start on uniques and if not I can just do whole chunks at a time. Thanks very much for your help!! -Senor Nooblet

0 Karma

cphair
Builder

No problem, @bagojunk. If my answer got close enough, could you click the check mark below the voting buttons to accept it? Thanks.

0 Karma

bagojunk
Engager

I got the delete thing wrong, I just misinterpreted (thanks tho!)

The problem with dedup is that with syslog it doesnt recognize the "meat" of the entry as a field - it recognizes most of the syslog as separate fields but not the event detail for some reason.

example:

May 10 17:47:16 device12345 242504: May 10 17:47:15.795 EDT: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet9/99, changed state to down

So I want all hostname+"meat" uniques, right?
The hostname in this example is "device12345" and the meat is "Interface FastEthernet9/99, changed state to down" however that section is not identified as a field by splunk - only all the timestamp, event type, etc, preceding it. If these were all loaded in sql or excel, I could do a RIGHT 100 or something just to get all distinct characters from the end of the entry but Splunk uses a proprietary database so I cant do t-sql or anything and want to know the equivalent.

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

Also, it's not like MSSQL isn't a proprietary database 🙂

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

Well create a field out of the "meat" and dedup on that in that case.

0 Karma

cphair
Builder

Hello bagojunk,

1. Pipe your search to "| dedup device,event" (or whatever the name of the fields are).
  2. Did you look at the examples for the delete command? One purges based on a regex and one on an exact string, so one of those should do what you want. Of course, do the search without the delete first to make sure you're pulling the right stuff, and make sure you have admin rights.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/4.3.2/SearchReference/Delete

marcellodesales
Path Finder

index=prod source="/usr/share/whp-tomcat-7/logs/catalina.out" " > user-agent:" | rex "> user-agent: (?.)" | rex "x-forwarded-for: (?(.))" | table IP_ADDRESSES, USER_AGENT | eval CLIENT_IP=mvindex(split(IP_ADDRESSES, ","), 0) | dedup CLIENT_IP | fields CLIENT_IP, USER_AGENT

Got the unique IP addresses from it!!! Thanks to "dedup"...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...