Getting Data In

Search result JSON all fields not being extracted

pdamjanovic

I have a JSON within my search results whose fields are not being extracted all.
More specifically, a single field within that JSON is much longer than others - 40k characters, other are all under 50 characters. When I try to query any field which is above the long one in specific JSON, I do get a result. However, if I query any fields which is below the long one, no results are returned. Example:
{
"field1":"value1",
"field2":"value2",
"long_field":"............",
"field4":"value4"
}
I can query by field1 and field2 but not long_field and field4. Also, when I add "| fields *" to the query, only field1 and field2 would be among "Interesting fields" select or the results table.

The JSON itself is roughly 30-35 KB in size.

What could be the possible reason for such behavior?

0 Karma

dindu
Contributor

Hi,

You might be hitting the max character limits.
The default is near to 10K characters.

Please update the limits.conf.
Do create a limits.conf in your app local directory otherwise it will update the entire Splunk environment
Path - /splunk_home/etc/apps/your_app/local/limits.conf

Please try and let us know the outcome,

**limits.conf**
 maxchars = <integer>
0 Karma

pdamjanovic

Setting it to 100.000 did not help (message is under 40.000 chars).

0 Karma

starcher
Influencer

Set kv_mode=JSON on the sourcetype definition in props. Do not rely on kv_mode=AUTO

0 Karma

pdamjanovic

Tried, did not help.

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

How is spath result?

0 Karma

pdamjanovic

I'm not quite sure what is the question here?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...