Getting Data In

Running multiply Powershell scripts at the same time

Danny_Nilsson
Explorer

I have been working the past 2 weeks with getting powershell scripts and cron jobs stable. but find that when i run 6 scripts into the input.conf, i causes issue on some of the scripts randomly. one of the errors is

"Collection was modified; enumeration operation may not execute"

The thing is the powershell script is running the same PS1 file where the parameter is almost identical. and when i restart the service the same error can come from one of the other script and the one just failed

At the moment i have been able to fix the issue with implementing a sleep in front of every script, and this seems to work, but are not the ideal solution

Here is the debug log with the sleep. in basic it a script using dbatools and run some queries.

I do an import of dbatools at the beginning, and for the output it also looks good in splunk when the script runs succesful.

I tried to do an ISE where i added all the same script lines as in the input.conf, but are unable to reproduce it no matte how much i want it to fail.

i also had some different approaches, to collect all the script info to a variable and output at the bottom

run as Dot, Source

Run as a isolated function with powershell command

The only thing that make it stable is the sleep. 

06-30-2020 10:45:00.0225972+2 INFO Start executing script=sleep 3; ."C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\apps\xxx\Bin\Get-NCSQLDiagsplunk.ps1" -QueryIDs 35 -SqlInstance localhost -SplunkEnable for stanza=NCSQLDiag35
06-30-2020 10:45:00.0235980+2 INFO Start executing script=sleep 4; ."C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\apps\xxx\Bin\Get-NCSQLDiagsplunk.ps1" -QueryIDs 46 -SqlInstance localhost -SplunkEnable for stanza=NCSQLDiag46
06-30-2020 10:45:01.3045026+2 INFO End of executing script=sleep 1; ."C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\apps\xxx\Bin\Get-NCSQLDiagsplunk.ps1" -QueryIDs 27 -SqlInstance localhost -SplunkEnable for stanza=NCSQLDiag27, execution_time=1.2849084 seconds
06-30-2020 10:45:02.2756997+2 INFO End of executing script=sleep 2; ."C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\apps\xxx\Bin\Get-NCSQLDiagsplunk.ps1" -QueryIDs 34 -SqlInstance localhost -SplunkEnable for stanza=NCSQLDiag34, execution_time=2.2541032 seconds
06-30-2020 10:45:03.3188309+2 INFO End of executing script=sleep 3; ."C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\apps\xxx\Bin\Get-NCSQLDiagsplunk.ps1" -QueryIDs 35 -SqlInstance localhost -SplunkEnable for stanza=NCSQLDiag35, execution_time=3.295233 seconds
06-30-2020 10:45:04.1506740+2 INFO End of executing script=sleep 4; ."C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\apps\xxx\Bin\Get-NCSQLDiagsplunk.ps1" -QueryIDs 46 -SqlInstance localhost -SplunkEnable for stanza=NCSQLDiag46, execution_time=4.127076 seconds
06-30-2020 10:45:07.3460828+2 INFO End of executing script=sleep 6; ."C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\apps\xxx\Bin\Get-NCSQLDiagsplunk.ps1" -QueryIDs 102 -SqlInstance localhost -SplunkEnable for stanza=NCSQLDiag102, execution_time=7.3264873 seconds

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

Danny_Nilsson
Explorer

It seems the scripts shares the same run space some how. don't know what the best approach is to execute powershell scripts from splunks. seems like it causing a lot of trouble

here are some more error i get when receiving the exception from the scripts

Script failed System.Management.Automation.RuntimeException: The following error occurred while loading the extended type data file: Error in TypeData "Sqlcollaborative.Dbatools.dbaSystem.DbatoolsExceptionRecord": The member SerializationDepth is already present.
Error in TypeData "Sqlcollaborative.Dbatools.dbaSystem.DbatoolsException": The member SerializationDepth is already present.
Error in TypeData "Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Server": The member Invoke is already present.
Error in TypeData "Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Server": The member Query is already present.
Error in TypeData "Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Database": The member Invoke is already present.
Error in TypeData "Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Database": The member Query is already present.

at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.InitialSessionState.ThrowTypeOrFormatErrors(String resourceString, String errorMsg, String errorId)
at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.InitialSessionState.UpdateTypes(ExecutionContext context, Boolean updateOnly)
at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.InitialSessionState.Bind_UpdateTypes(ExecutionContext context, Boolean updateOnly)
at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.InitialSessionState.Bind(ExecutionContext context, Boolean updateOnly, PSModuleInfo module, Boolean noClobber, Boolean local)
at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.InitialSessionState.Bind(ExecutionContext context, Boolean updateOnly)
at Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ModuleCmdletBase.LoadModuleManifest(String moduleManifestPath, ExternalScriptInfo manifestScriptInfo, Hashtable data, Hashtable localizedData, ManifestProcessingFlags manifestProcessingFlags, Version minimumVersion, Version maximumVersion, Version requiredVersion, Nullable`1 requiredModuleGuid, ImportModuleOptions& options, Boolean& containedErrors)

Script failed System.Management.Automation.ActionPreferenceStopException: The running command stopped because the preference variable "WarningPreference" or common parameter is set to Stop: [15:00:05][Invoke-QueryRawDatabases] Failure | Method invocation failed because [Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Server] does not contain a method named 'Query'.
at System.Management.Automation.ExceptionHandlingOps.CheckActionPreference(FunctionContext funcContext, Exception exception)
at System.Management.Automation.Interpreter.ActionCallInstruction`2.Run(InterpretedFrame frame)
at System.Management.Automation.Interpreter.EnterTryCatchFinallyInstruction.Run(InterpretedFrame frame)
at System.Management.Automation.Interpreter.EnterTryCatchFinallyInstruction.Run(InterpretedFrame frame)

0 Karma

Danny_Nilsson
Explorer

just to say when adding a sleep; command in from of every script, over time they start to run successful 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...