Getting Data In

Run a script after Splunk service stops

cboillot
Contributor

If I were to have the UF run a PowerShell script, and that script stops the UF, does that also end that PowerShell script session? If so, is there a way to keep it running?

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @cboillot,

I think you are trying to run a script to change setting UF and restart. Stopping the UF process will also stop the Powershell script since it is a child.

You can continue your Powershell actions using another Powershell script by starting a second script for stopping or restarting UF. You should start the second one using the "Start-Process" command. This command will create a separate process that will not be the child of UF.

If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.

cboillot
Contributor

This is what I had thought, but its not working. It gets to the point were it stops Splunk, but then nothing. The file I have in referenced in the inputs is named 'kickoff.ps1'. 

start-process powershell.exe "-noexit -noprofile -executionpolicy bypass . C:\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\apps\upgradeTest\bin\splunkforwarder-install.ps1"

This is working as it the referenced script stops Splunk. But after that, it just stops. The script itself works as I can run it from the desktop successfully. 

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @cboillot,

sorry but using Splunk you cannot run actions on Universal Forwarders, you have to find a different way.

As a workaround, you could create an alert on the Splunk server that runs a remote Powershell script, if acceptable for you.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...