Explorer

Hey guys,

Let's say I have an index called test. 

I am only ingesting EVTX by modifying the inputs.conf 

[monitor://D:\winevt\logs\*]
index = test
sourcetype = preprocess-winevt
crcSalt = <SOURCE>

Now there's an extra huge EVTX which is very slow to index and I want to just start afresh! What approach should I take? 

I would like to - 

splunk stop
splunk clean eventdata
splunk start

but would it:

1. Rest my inputs.conf? I guess no

2. If not, wouldn't it again start indexing from where I left off(given I have not changed the input and not touched the physical files)? This is what I'm seeing in my environment. 

Thanks,

Vikas

Labels (2)
0 Karma

singhvikas
Explorer

Hi @gcusello 

Thank you for your response, I appreciate the help (and the word of caution!) 

Umm.. just to be clear, if the data is STILL being indexed. I can 

splunk stop
splunk clean eventdata
splunk start

what happens when splunk starts? It will start the indexing from scratch as per my configuration here? 

[monitor://D:\winevt\logs\*]
index = test
sourcetype = preprocess-winevt
crcSalt = <SOURCE>
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @singhvikas,

Splunk doesn't index twice a log, so the already indexed data will not be indexed again by default.

If you need to reindex them, you have to change the name of filename and use (as you are doing) crcSalt = <SOURCE> option in your input stanza.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @singhvikas,

if you're speaking of a development index, you could also use the delete command that's faster than the other way but it doesn't delete events from the index, it only marks them as deleted.

Anyway the approach you described is the correct one but BEWARE: if you don't insert the clause "-index <index_name>" in the command you clean all the indexes not only the test one!!!

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...