Getting Data In

Removing unsent messages of Splunk universal forwarder

manasbellani
Explorer

Hi, I have a simple setup of a Splunk universal forwarder on a windows server forwarding data to a single Linux server acting as Splunk indexer/search head. 

Sometimes the connection to this server can drop from the windows box and when it is restored, a large number of messages not sent when the connection had dropped get forwarded.

How can I empty the Splunk universal forwarder messages queue via the command line just before the connection is reinstated, so that any unsent messages are dropped?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

tscroggins
Influencer

@manasbellani 

To prevent the forwarder from queuing events and blocking output, you can add the blockOnCloning setting to outputs.conf. On a typical unmanaged Windows forwarder, modify C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\sytem\local\outputs.conf and restart the "SplunkForwarder Service" service.

[tcpout]
blockOnCloning = false

This setting will result in dropped/lost/missing events any time the forwarder is unable to connect to the receiver and output queues are filled. Implement with caution!

View solution in original post

tscroggins
Influencer

@manasbellani 

To prevent the forwarder from queuing events and blocking output, you can add the blockOnCloning setting to outputs.conf. On a typical unmanaged Windows forwarder, modify C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\sytem\local\outputs.conf and restart the "SplunkForwarder Service" service.

[tcpout]
blockOnCloning = false

This setting will result in dropped/lost/missing events any time the forwarder is unable to connect to the receiver and output queues are filled. Implement with caution!

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...