Getting Data In

Reindex linux log file

TheBravoSierra
Path Finder

I need to index a file: /var/log/file.txt. This file runs every day, but sometimes the content doesn't change. This leaves me with no events on days that remain the same. I need it to index every time the timestamp changes on the file. I believe I need to add crcSalt =<SOURCE> to the inputs.conf in order to reindex it. However, my inputs monitors all files in /var/log. So if I add that to that input monitor, it would likely apply to all files in var log reindexing them all every time. Something I don't want. How can I reindex just this file daily while leaving the other files in the directory unchanged? 

Many thanks

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Create a separate inputs.conf stanza for /var/log/file.txt with crcSalt. Then blacklist file.txt from original /var/log monitoring stanza.

View solution in original post

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Create a separate inputs.conf stanza for /var/log/file.txt with crcSalt. Then blacklist file.txt from original /var/log monitoring stanza.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...