Getting Data In

Recommended site_replication_factor and site_search_factor for multisite indexer cluster on 2 sites with 1 node each

nareshinsvu
Builder

Hello Experts,

I am setting up new clustered environment with below setup. Need advice on recommended configurations.

Indexer cluster - 2 sites - 1 server each site
Search head cluster - 2 sites - 1 server on 1st site ,2 servers on second site.
cluster master/deployer - 1 server on 1st site

My current configurations based on my readings through splunk docs below.

On indexer cluster master
[clustering]
site_replication_factor = origin:1,site1:1,site2:1,total:2
site_search_factor = origin:1,total:2
replication_factor = 2

On search head members:
[shclustering]
replication_factor = 2

When one of the indexer is stopped, my indexer cluster says "Search Factor is not Met" and "Replication Factor is not Met". Will there be any consequences with this? Any recommended changes to make it a stable set-up?

Also, How can I tell any forwarder (which is sending data to indexer1) to send data to indexer2 if indexer1 goes down?

Thanks,
Naresh

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

harsmarvania57
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi,

I have almost same configuration in my lab, only changes I have in site_replication_factor

CM server.conf

[clustering]
site_replication_factor = origin:1,total:2
replication_factor = 2

SH member Server.conf

[shclustering]
replication_factor = 2

When you shutdown one indexer, CM will complain that "Search factor is not met" and "Replication factor is not met". This is because you have mentioned that site_replication_factor and site_search_factor total is 2 and when you shutdown one indexer only 1 copy of replicated bucket and 1 copy of searchable bucket is available in your Indexer Cluster and as you don't have any other indexer in same site on which you took down one indexer, cluster will not able to replicate bucket from alive indexer to any other indexer in other site because you don't have any other indexer available in another site and due to that Search Factor and Replicator Factor 2 is not fulfilling and CM will give you those messages. However you will able to search all the data because you have RF and SF 2 and you have 1 indexer available in one site.

Regarding forwarder setup, first you need to tell us how your forwarder is configured ? Forwarders in Site A are sending data to Site A indexer and Forwarders in Site B are sending data to Site B Indexer ? You can check indexer discovery method for forwarders to send data to multisite cluster in event of site failure, ref doc. https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.5/Indexer/indexerdiscovery#Use_indexer_discovery_in...

View solution in original post

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi,

I have almost same configuration in my lab, only changes I have in site_replication_factor

CM server.conf

[clustering]
site_replication_factor = origin:1,total:2
replication_factor = 2

SH member Server.conf

[shclustering]
replication_factor = 2

When you shutdown one indexer, CM will complain that "Search factor is not met" and "Replication factor is not met". This is because you have mentioned that site_replication_factor and site_search_factor total is 2 and when you shutdown one indexer only 1 copy of replicated bucket and 1 copy of searchable bucket is available in your Indexer Cluster and as you don't have any other indexer in same site on which you took down one indexer, cluster will not able to replicate bucket from alive indexer to any other indexer in other site because you don't have any other indexer available in another site and due to that Search Factor and Replicator Factor 2 is not fulfilling and CM will give you those messages. However you will able to search all the data because you have RF and SF 2 and you have 1 indexer available in one site.

Regarding forwarder setup, first you need to tell us how your forwarder is configured ? Forwarders in Site A are sending data to Site A indexer and Forwarders in Site B are sending data to Site B Indexer ? You can check indexer discovery method for forwarders to send data to multisite cluster in event of site failure, ref doc. https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.5/Indexer/indexerdiscovery#Use_indexer_discovery_in...

0 Karma

nareshinsvu
Builder

Thanks for clarifying Mate @harsmarvania57

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...