Getting Data In

REST endpoint for modifying $app/local/macros.conf

jpvlsmv
Path Finder

I'd like to have my app not clobber other people's index names, or to be able to reference an existing (but I don't know what index search)

I thought that I could, in my app's setup.xml, prompt the user for the desired index name.

But then, how do I get my saved search or view or dashboard to reference the value the user entered?

I created a macro in $app/etc/default/macros.conf, defining:

[appindex]
     definition = index=foo

and in the app, I can define my searches referencing `appindex` therestofthequery and everything works fine.

I can get setup.xml to prompt for the desired index name, but I can't find the REST endpoint that will put the definition in $app/local/macros.conf

Is there another way to do this?

1 Solution

vcarbona
Path Finder

The link below will have the answer in the question.

With the Python SDK, you can access it even easier:

from splunklib.client import connect
service = connect(username="admin", password="changeme", host="myhost", app="search")
# To update a macro named "test" in the search app
service.post('properties/macros/test', definition="test123")

# To read a macro named "test" in the search app
print service.get('properties/macros/test/definition')["body"]

View solution in original post

acharlieh
Influencer

Looking at the urls that come back with Settings > (Knowledge) Advanced Search > Search macros. It looks like those are controlled through the /servicesNS/(usercontext)/(appcontext)/admin/macros endpoint and children endpoints. Wiring it up isn't something I've done yet, but this might help... check out |rest /servicesNS/-/-/admin/macros for example.

vcarbona
Path Finder

The link below will have the answer in the question.

With the Python SDK, you can access it even easier:

from splunklib.client import connect
service = connect(username="admin", password="changeme", host="myhost", app="search")
# To update a macro named "test" in the search app
service.post('properties/macros/test', definition="test123")

# To read a macro named "test" in the search app
print service.get('properties/macros/test/definition')["body"]
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...