Getting Data In

Qualys TA: WARNING: Failed to parse API Output...XML or text declaration not at start of entity

ejwade
Contributor
My Qualys VM detection pull stopped working. I found a new warning log.

TA-QualysCloudPlatform (host_detection): 2023-03-06 08:54:15 PID=30479 [Thread-3] WARNING: Failed to parse API Output for endpoint /api/2.0/fo/asset/host/vm/detection/. Message: XML or text declaration not at start of entity: line 7, column 0

Has anyone come across this? I have no idea where to start when it comes to troubleshooting.
Labels (1)
0 Karma

Tom_Lundie
Contributor

I'm not familiar with this TA, but I've had a read through the code and it looks like there could be a couple of issues at play here. Please take this advice with a pinch of salt because I haven't been able to directly test this TA.

First and foremost: The TA does not seem to raise any exceptions (and interrupt the normal flow) when the API returns a non OK response. It does seem to enter a debug log for non-200 response codes. Can you see "Got NOK response from API" in the previous line(s) of your logs?

if request.getcode() != 200:
    qlogger.debug("Got NOK response from API")

This would indicate that something is wrong on the API-side. These issues tend to be related to authentication/authorization issues. Make sure that your API credentials have not expired and the correct permissions have been set to read host vm_detection's.

If you're happy with API configuration, the next thing that I would look at is the fact that the TA seems to stage the API output in ./TA-QualysCloudPlatform/tmp/ before ingesting it (so $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/TA-QualysCloudPlatform/tmp/) .

Make sure that the volume mounted for this directory is not full up.

df -h

Given that this error corresponds with the fact that the API is not returning data in the expected XML format, I would try and isolate the relevant ./tmp/ file and see if there are any relevant clues such as unusual characters etc. If there are lots of ./tmp/ files in this directory then you could try deleting them to make sure any old half-written files are not kicking around and causing the issue.

These filenames are generated dynamically using properties such as
 os.getpid() and current_thread().getName() so it's going to be quite hard for the folks on Splunk Community to help you debug this remotely.

That being said, if nothing obvious is jumping out with the above, then I suggest that you reach out to Qualys directly as this is not a Splunk Supported add-on. You could also try sharing your inputs.conf and some more logs (obfuscated as appropriate) to see if anything else jumps out to the community.

Good Luck!

0 Karma

ejwade
Contributor

Thank you - this is good information on how the TA works. I'm working with Qualys support now and hoping to find an answer. I gave them feedback about their lack of exception handling. 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...