Getting Data In

What does Process %_Processor_Time greater than 100% mean?

wnyricsplunk
Explorer

I have started collecting Process information on a virtual machine that has 1 processor. I am seeing %_Processor_Time statistics of upwards of 1000%. I understand that you could get a percentage greater than 100% on a machine with multiple sockets/cores, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. Can anyone explain what it is that I'm seeing? Running perfmon on the VM looks normal, so how can a process use a percentage of the CPU that is so high?

Labels (1)

sylim_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This has just been fixed and available for download, in  8.1.7+, 8.2.3+, 8.3.x and afterwards.

It is found in the release notes in Fixed Issues section, for example version 8.2.3 - https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.3/ReleaseNotes/Fixedissues

Please check the release notes for the versions you want to upgrade to. ( SPL-210455)

Tags (1)

a_kearney
Path Finder

I have just run into a similar issue and it may be down to a limitation in how Perfmon functions. Explanation:

Why you see data greater than expected is due to a design limitation in perflib V1/PDH. To calculate the percentage of CPU usage, PDH needs two samples (each with a raw value and a timestamp); the problem is that PDH uses only the instance name to match the processes, so it can sometimes use two samples from different processes.

For example, in the table below there are 3 processes (black, green and red). Each sample is 1 second apart, and the values represent the total number of milliseconds each process has ran for since it started. The first row indicates how PDH names the process;

X   X#1     X#2

Sample 1    0     0       0

Sample 2   20    10     500

Sample 3   40    20    1000   Process in green is deleted, so process in red becomes X#1

Sample 4   60  1500           It looks like process X#1 ran for 1480s in this 1s interval!

Sample 5   80  2000          ß Everything seems back to normal now.

Ref: Info about Counter "% Processor Time"? (microsoft.com)

With a possible fix being listed here: Perfmon: Identifying processes by PID instead of instance - Microsoft Tech Community

I haven't tested the fix yet but will report back with results if it does get implemented.

0 Karma

wnyricsplunk
Explorer

alt text

The VM being monitored has 1 Core and 1 Logical Processor. The Percent of Processor Time is %17,967. Going by the NumberOfProcessors x 100 formula, the machine would need 180 sockets/cores in order to reach that number?? I could see %101 percent due to threading issues, but %18,000? The only way I could see that being accurate is if the VM had knowledge of the underlying hardware (VM Hosts) but I'm fairly sure that is not the case.

0 Karma

outis

alt text

You also see like this? One people tell me that: example your cpu have 8 cores, 1 core is used 100%, it'll use from another cores. therefore i get 100,1%. hope that it'll help you understand

0 Karma

jpolvino
Builder

Do you have access to the actual logs? Find an event that is over 100%. If you open an event, click on the Event Actions drop down, you may be able to view source. Here is an example of one of mine:
12/24/2019 15:05:44.584 -0500
collection=Process
object=Process
counter="% Processor Time"
instance=splunk-perfmon
Value=2.9410862311424606

If your event value is different from the value in the raw log, you may have an issue with the parser.

0 Karma

jpolvino
Builder

In perfmon, go to the Performance node where it give you the overview and system summary. In the lower pane, it shows processor information. Are the columns like 0,1 and 0,1? If so, these are cores that may contribute to the measure you're seeing.

0 Karma

wnyricsplunk
Explorer

Columns are _Total, 0,_Total, and 0,0

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...