Getting Data In

PerfMon Data from Windows Forwarders

tbrown
Path Finder

I have my Splunk enterprise instance set up on a windows server. I also have 4 universal forwarders set up on Windows servers and 4 more universal forwarders set up on Linux servers. Right now, I want to forward PerfMon stats from the 4 Windows servers. When I was setting up the forwarders on these servers, I checked the boxes in the forwarder installers that allowed certain PerfMon counters to be sent to the Splunk server. Those are successfully sending certain counters like "Available Bytes", "Bytes Received/sec", etc.

My question is how can I add more of these PerfMon counters to be forwarded to my Splunk Server? I saw some information about the Splunk App for Windows, but that was using Deployment clients and things like that, and I was wondering if their was a simpler way of just adding specific PerfMon counters in the forwarder settings on each server. 

Would it be better to use the Splunk App for Windows instead?

Labels (2)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Since you have multiple forwarders, you should be using a deployment server.  Plan on doing that soon.  It will make it easier to manage the forwarders, especially if more are added in the future.

The simple solution is to edit the inputs.conf files on the Windows servers.  They're probably in $SPLUNK_HOME\etc\system\local, but splunk btool --debug inputs list will tell you for sure.

When you edit the file, you'll see most of the perfmon stanzas have "disabled = 1" in them.  Change the "1" to "0" for those measurements you want to index.  Then restart the UF.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...