Getting Data In

Parsing sourcetype timestamp after changing it through TRANSFORM

fabiob
Explorer

Hello guys,

my name is Fabio and I have a problem. 😞

This is the situation: the heavy forwarder receives events on udp:514 and I need to split them into N sourcetypes, according to regexps defined in transforms.conf (this part works).

The problem is that each sourcetype has a different timestamp format and I need the timestamp of each event to be properly parsed.

I tried this: through a TRANSFORM rule I changed the sourcetype of the event and then, through a following TRANSFORM rule, I tried to move it to the parsingQueue, but that didn't make the trick. The timestamp is wrongly parsed once again.

Also notice that I can't follow the solution suggested here (http://answers.splunk.com/answers/79645/changing-timestamp-and-sourcetype-based-on-record-type) as I'm not aware of the format of timestamps of other sourcetypes, as some of them are automatically parsed and I don't have log samples. If I set a time format in [source::udp:514] I'm afraid I would probably mess up timestamp recognition for other events.

Is there a way to do this? If the parsingQueue solution didn't work, I'm afraid I didn't get very well how the whole input+parsing+indexing process works in Splunk.

Thanks! 🙂

0 Karma

dvwijk
Explorer

Hi Fabio,

did you ever solve this problem.. I am running into a very similar issue...

Kind regards,

Danny

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...