Getting Data In

Outputs.conf sslPassword not hashing for specific systems

ricotries
Communicator

I have a test environment with similar devices (Windows 10 laptops that serve the same purpose and have the same software) that I'm using to test the SSL configuration for the input-outputs of log receiving/forwarding between Universal Forwarders and one Indexer (both version 6.5). The issue is that for some devices, once the Universal Forwarder is installed and they point to the Indexer (which is set up as a Deployment Server as well) to pull the app that contains the testing SSL configuration for outputs.conf, certain devices do not hash the sslPassword when the UF restarts, while others do. So all devices are phoning home and are listed under Forwarder Management, but only some are sending logs, while the rest (that are not hashing the sslPassword) can't send any logs.

What is going on?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

codebuilder
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

All the behaviors you describe, especially the lack of password hashing, generally indicates that Splunk is unable to access the file.
Verify that your Splunk user has access to the file(s) and that they are not set to read only.

----
An upvote would be appreciated and Accept Solution if it helps!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

codebuilder
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

All the behaviors you describe, especially the lack of password hashing, generally indicates that Splunk is unable to access the file.
Verify that your Splunk user has access to the file(s) and that they are not set to read only.

----
0 Karma

codebuilder
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Any progress?

----
0 Karma

ricotries
Communicator

Yeah that was it, I figured out that when I installed the UFs, I forgot to run the installer as administrator in some of them, which happen to be the ones that were failing to hash the password.

0 Karma

codebuilder
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Glad to hear you were able to resolve it.

----
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...