Getting Data In

OKTA TLS requires TLS/cipher

youngsuh
Contributor

“BLUF: Looks like a TLS/cipher problem in addition to ca_bundel. I was able to connect without errors after specifying the ca_bundle file and explicitly specifying TLS version and ciphers.”

I'd then modified inputs.conf

[SSL]
cipherSuite = ecdhe-rsa-aes-128-gcm-sha-256

In addition, I'd added ca_bundel $splunk home dir%/etc/auth/

I am still getting SSL error.  Any idea how to get around getting the input working?

Tags (4)
0 Karma
1 Solution

youngsuh
Contributor

We were using the beta version but, decided to upgrade to latest and greatest.  The latest greatest pervious version had malformed URL issue with the proxy.  But, the current version doesn't have the issue and support the cipher without configuration.  Looks like OKTA notice the issue and resolved.  Thanks for you feedback.

Here are the version for reference for others:  v 2.25.11 beta release

one with the malformed URL using proxy:  2.25.17

Working version with malformed URL & Proxy:  2.25.19  (works with DoD)

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
0 Karma

tscroggins
Influencer

@youngsuh 

Assuming the cipher is the problem, try ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256 (uppercase, no hyphen between AES and 128).

For Splunk-to-Okta connections, you can use https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/index.html to easily see which ciphers your okta.com endpoint advertises.

For example, their AWS US West services support TLS 1.2 and the following ciphers (in this order with IANA names):

TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256
TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA256
TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA
TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384
TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA384
TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA
TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256
TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA256
TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA
TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384
TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA256
TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA

The default inputs.conf SSL cipherSuite value already contains supported ciphers (with OpenSSL names):

cipherSuite = ECDHE-ECDSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:ECDHE-ECDSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:ECDHE-ECDSA-AES256-SHA384:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-SHA384:ECDHE-ECDSA-AES128-SHA256:ECDHE-RSA-AES128-SHA256

That said, I'm not sure what you're trying to do. inputs.conf controls inbound connections, not outbound connections. Do you have an Okta service trying to push data to a Splunk instance rather than a Splunk add-on pulling data from Okta?

youngsuh
Contributor

Q: Do you have an OKTA service trying to push data to a Splunk instance rather than a Splunk add-on pulling data fromOKTA? 

A: We're using the add-on to pull data.  We have a CIPHER issue via CURL.  I'd try the upper case with no luck in the inputs.conf.  We're not pushing data into OKTA.  I know that it's a CIPHER issue because CURL doesn't work without the CIPHER arg.   We're getting ssl.c:742 via Okta add-on.

Q:  Should I input all the CIPHER you listed into inputs.conf?

0 Karma

tscroggins
Influencer

@youngsuh 

Which add-on are you using? There's more than one on Splunkbase. If you're using Okta Identity Cloud Add-on for Splunk, this issue is in the Okta add-on itself, not Splunk. You'll need to contact Okta directly. They may provide support for the add-on.

0 Karma

youngsuh
Contributor

We were using the beta version but, decided to upgrade to latest and greatest.  The latest greatest pervious version had malformed URL issue with the proxy.  But, the current version doesn't have the issue and support the cipher without configuration.  Looks like OKTA notice the issue and resolved.  Thanks for you feedback.

Here are the version for reference for others:  v 2.25.11 beta release

one with the malformed URL using proxy:  2.25.17

Working version with malformed URL & Proxy:  2.25.19  (works with DoD)

Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...