Getting Data In

Not receiving all windows logs from clients

izyknows
Path Finder

Hello,

I'm trying to setup Splunk in a lab environment. I've got one windows client which I want to send logs over to my Splunk server via a UF.

I am managing the endpoint's splunk config via a deployment server. This works fine, the client checks in, my apps get pushed to it, all fine. For windows logs, I'm using the Splunk TA for Windows (https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/742/#/overview) with an inputs.conf as below

[WinEventLog://Security]
disabled = 0
start_from = oldest
current_only = 0
renderXml=true
evt_resolve_ad_obj = 1
index = windows

[WinEventLog://System]
disabled = 0
renderXml=true
evt_resolve_ad_obj = 1
index = windows

[WinEventLog://Application]
disabled = 0
renderXml=true
evt_resolve_ad_obj = 1
index = windows

The app gets deployed correctly and I see the above inputs.conf in the %SPLUNK_HOME%/apps/Splunk_TA_windows/local/inputs.conf.

However, in Splunk, I don't seem to be getting all the logs. In fact, I'm only getting event id 6xxx logs and very few (43 events/15mins)

izyknows_1-1630253985637.png

I can't figure out why all the logs aren't coming in but only a few irrelevant ones. Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you!

Labels (4)
0 Karma
1 Solution

izyknows
Path Finder

Okay, fixed. It was the permission of the user. For some reason, a domain user who is part of the local admins group did not cut it and made Splunk respond in weird ways in terms of picking up logs. Redeployed UF with Local System and it works. Next time I try it with a non-local account, I'll manage it with gMSA. But for now, it works 🙂

Thank you

View solution in original post

0 Karma

izyknows
Path Finder

Okay, fixed. It was the permission of the user. For some reason, a domain user who is part of the local admins group did not cut it and made Splunk respond in weird ways in terms of picking up logs. Redeployed UF with Local System and it works. Next time I try it with a non-local account, I'll manage it with gMSA. But for now, it works 🙂

Thank you

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Did you configure the DS to have the UF restart after downloading the app?

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

izyknows
Path Finder

Yes I did. Restarted the deployment server so the apps would get distributed again too. No luck 😞

izyknows_0-1630269528255.png

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...