Getting Data In

No persistentqueue attributes in outputs.conf. How to configure data buffering on Heavy Forwarder ?

damode
Motivator

I was referring to this link, https://wiki.splunk.com/Community:Best_Practice_For_Configuring_Syslog_Input to configure data buffering on Heavy Forwarder. The instructions provided talk about configuring the below attributes in outputs.conf,

1. maxQueueSize = integer
  2. usePersistentQueue = true/false
  3. persistentQueuePath = absolute_path_that_must_exist
  4. maxPersistentQueueSizeInMegs = integer

However, except maxQueueSize, no other attributes can be found in the outputs.conf file.

Please advise how can I configure data buffering in this case.

0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

1 is in outputs.conf and 2 and 4 are deprecated. Unfortunately, the community wiki is pretty out of date and not really supported. For example, it suggests Heavy Forwarder which is actually VERY wrong in the latest versions (should always be UF):

https://www.splunk.com/blog/2016/12/12/universal-or-heavy-that-is-the-question.html

0 Karma

damode
Motivator

So you mean UF can be used for data buffering ? if yes, can you please share the documentation for the configuration ? Thanks

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

No, HF is supported but only recommended if:
1: You have to transform most of the data before sending it to indexers
OR
2: You are using Modular Inputs

Otherwise, use UF as the aggregation.

0 Karma

damode
Motivator

Hi @woodcock, sorry if my question isn't clear enough.

What my main question is , how I can configure Heavy Forwarder to buffer data if Indexer goes down ?

You have mentioned that the 1, 2 and 4 settings are deprecated, but HF still supports data buffering.

So, can you please suggest what are the other steps required to configure that ?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Your best bet is to read these 4 files:

$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/README/outputs.conf.spec
$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/README/outputs.conf.examples
$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/README/limits.conf.spec
$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/README/limits.conf.examples

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...