Getting Data In

Need to stop the events being Split

ashrafshareeb
Path Finder

Hi All,

I have a scenario where the events should not be split, but after trying a lot of options it still seems to be not working. Its an health check log,

Sample data

Relay is RUNNING - PID 123123
deal publisher is RUNNING - PID 80345
C ADAPTER is RUNNING - PID 99342
M ADAPTER is RUNNING - PID 662521
SMA is RUNNING - PID 12321321

I just want all them to be an single event, but it keeps on splitting in different ways.

In props.config,
[ehealth]
TRUNCATE = 0
MAX_EVENTS = 5

I have tried SHOULD_LINEMERGE = true as well, but doesnt seems to be working. I just want no to break and all the 5 lines get indexed as a single event.

Thanks in advance.

0 Karma

ashrafshareeb
Path Finder

just an update on this issue(just in case anyone has the same issue) the events were being written in the log file with a delay, by default the time_before_close is 3 seconds. I had to change this to 5 seconds and also also set the multiline_event_extra_waittime=true in inputs.conf

time_before_close = 5
multiline_event_extra_waittime = true

From Splunk documentation on these parameters,
time_before_close = <integer>
* Modtime delta required before Splunk can close a file on EOF.
* Tells the system not to close files that have been updated in past
seconds.
* Defaults to 3.

multiline_event_extra_waittime = [true|false]
*By default, Splunk Enterprise sends an event delimiter when (1) it reaches EOF of a file it monitors and (2) the last char it reads is a newline.
*In some cases, it takes time for all lines of a multiple-line event to arrive.
*Set to true to delay sending an event delimiter until the time that Splunk Enterprise closes the file, as defined by the time_before_close attribute, to allow all event lines to arrive.
*Default to false.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Use this:

[ehealth]
LINE_BREAKER = (?!)
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
0 Karma

ashrafshareeb
Path Finder

It has split all the 5 lines to single events. I want all the 5 lines to be a single event and not split at all

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

I am quite certain that this configuration will work. It is highly likely that problem is not in the configuration settings but in your delpoyment or testing approach. Answer these questions.
1: Are you overriding/resetting/modifying the sourcetype using a setting in transforms.conf and if so, are you using the original sourcetype or the modified one (you MUST use the original one)?
2: Have you deployed this props.conf file to the FIRST FULL INSTANCE of splunk (e.g. HF/IF or Indexers)?
3: Have you restarted all Splunk instances on those nodes?
4: Are you using _index_earliest=-5m in your search SPL when you test to make sure that you are only looking at newly-indexed events?

0 Karma

ashrafshareeb
Path Finder

It's a distributed setup with 2 SH and 4 IDX
1. No transforms.conf
2. I have deployed it in the indexers through the deployment server
3. Yes, I have restarted all the splunk instances
4. I'm using last 15 min in the search time range picker.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

#4 is totally inadequate. You should use All time and _index_earliest=-5m. Most people do not have their events timestamped correctly.

0 Karma

ashrafshareeb
Path Finder

I have tried with All time and _index_earliest=-5m but still the same result. 5 lines in the above sample is getting split into 5 different events (with same time stamp). All those 5 lines should be a single event and not split at all

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Are you doing a sourcetype override? If so, you need to use the original sourcetype value, not the new ehealth value.

0 Karma

dkeck
Influencer

HI,

if you set SHOULD_LINEMERGE=true you need another option

refer to this:https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SplunkCloud/7.1.3/Data/Configureeventlinebreaking#Attributes_t...

you could set BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE = ^Relay. If you know that your events always start like this

Tested it in splunk data upload, and I actually have the problem that splunk is not splitting the events until "BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE = ^Relay" is set. Not that some other conf is messing with your settings.

0 Karma

ashrafshareeb
Path Finder

Hi dkeck,

Thanks for the response.

I have tried the below props.conf and still its not working, the events are getting split differently each time.

SHOULD_LINEMERGE=true
BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE = ^Relay

The events start with Relay as shown in the sample, I have tried adding TRUNCATE=0 and MAX_EVENTS = 5 along with the above configs but doesn't make any difference

0 Karma

dkeck
Influencer

Did you restart after you changed props?

0 Karma

ashrafshareeb
Path Finder

Apologies for late reply, I have restarted after the props.conf changes still no luck.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...