Getting Data In

Need to omit events with specific strings (info or debug) in them.

abhijit_mhatre
Path Finder

I am trying to prevent debug and info events from getting logged into splunk. I created an inputs.conf and used blacklist statement to blacklist these events, but it didn't help.
I wrote below stanza in inputs.conf using regex, but no luck.

blacklist = .:\s+[(debug|\sinfo)|.

Can i directly do blacklisting in inputs.conf using the below statements?
blacklist1 = debug
blacklist2 = info
If not how can I do it? Is the only option left is using props.conf and transforms.conf and sending these events to nullqueue?
Please help!

0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

Hi

I think you are looking for something related to this:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.1.1/Forwarding/Routeandfilterdatad#Discard_specific_ev...

1) Edit props.conf and add the following:

[<your_sourcetype>]
TRANSFORMS-set= setnull,setparsing

2)Edit transforms.conf and add the following:

[setnull]
REGEX = .
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue

[setparsing]
REGEX = info|debug
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = indexQueue

3) Restart Splunk Enterprise.

let me know if this helps!

0 Karma

abhijit_mhatre
Path Finder

Hey mayurr98,

The configuration you provided is to index info and debug logs and omit everything else. we want it to be other way.

Below are the sample events:
Jun XX 10:02:27 3r79-c05-04 hostname : [debug|file|0 ||xcp-rrdd-xenpm] Process 1234 exited normally with XX
Jun XX 10:02:27 3r79-c05-04 hostname : [debug|file|0 ||xcp-rrdd-xenpm] Forking command XXXXXXXX
Jun XX 11:02:59 3r79-c05-04 hostname: [ info|3R79-C05-04|243325 INET :::43|session.logout 23XXXX|xapi] SessionXXXX XXXXXX

The configuration I wrote :

props.conf,

TRANSFORMS-remove = remove

transforms.conf,

[remove]
REGEX = (^\w+\s+\d+\s+\d+:\d+:\d+\s(3r79-c05-04)\s+[a-zA-z-:]+\s[(debug|\sinfo)
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue

it is not working.

Anyone please advise.

0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

You need to escape that [ before the debug|info part. Check with regex101.com or similar regex tool if your regex matches.

0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

What type of input are we talking about? For things like file monitor, the blacklist and whitelist apply to the file path, not the event content. For WinEventLog you could use blacklist and whitelist with regular expressions to filter based on event content.

So depending on what type of input you have, you may indeed need to resort to using props and transforms to send the unwanted events to the nullqueue.

For details you can check the relevant section of the inputs.conf spec, to see how blacklist can be used for that type of input.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...