Getting Data In

Need guidance with props Time Zone settings

Glasses2
Communicator

Hi,

I am forced to set individual TZ for individual hosts in a SeverClass because the hosts' OS time is not standardized.

I have noticed TZ = US/Eastern, TZ = US/Central, and TZ = US/Pacific, all account for Daylight Savings Time automatically.

However, I have servers in the following Time Zones and I am hoping someone can confirm what TZ settings I should use to automatically adjust for DST.

AUS/Eastern <<< using TZ=Australia/Sydney
AWST <<< using TZ=Australia/West
Etc/GMT+12  <<<< cannot find alternate
GB (for UK BST)  <<<< using TZ=GB (for UK locations w/ BST)
HKT <<<< cannot find alternate

Hopefully that is correct...

I was given these by the host admin.

Please refer me to doc, as I don't find these TZs in Splunk docs, other than a ref to wikipedia.

Thank you

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

tscroggins
Influencer

Hi,

The Wikipedia page is a fine reference for the time zone database: <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tz_database_time_zones>.

AUS/Eastern => TZ=Australia/Sydney
AWST => TZ=Australia/West
Etc/GMT+12  => either TZ=Etc/GMT+12 (no DST) or TZ=Pacific/Auckland (for New Zealand)
GB (for UK BST)  => TZ=Europe/London
HKT => TZ=Asia/Hong_Kong (no DST in Hong Kong)

Splunk will convert the forwarder's local time to Unix epoch (UTC) time, and the Splunk user interface will convert _time to the user's preferred time zone wherever the user interface displays the time.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

tscroggins
Influencer

Hi,

The Wikipedia page is a fine reference for the time zone database: <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tz_database_time_zones>.

AUS/Eastern => TZ=Australia/Sydney
AWST => TZ=Australia/West
Etc/GMT+12  => either TZ=Etc/GMT+12 (no DST) or TZ=Pacific/Auckland (for New Zealand)
GB (for UK BST)  => TZ=Europe/London
HKT => TZ=Asia/Hong_Kong (no DST in Hong Kong)

Splunk will convert the forwarder's local time to Unix epoch (UTC) time, and the Splunk user interface will convert _time to the user's preferred time zone wherever the user interface displays the time.

0 Karma

Glasses2
Communicator

Curious, is TZ=GB for UK valid or did I misread something?

0 Karma

tscroggins
Influencer

GB is a valid alias for Europe/London according to the zone database. TZ=GB should have worked. I personally prefer to use the canonical names, but as long as the name is valid, it should work.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...