Getting Data In

Need assistance with time_format - timezone?

msarro
Builder

Hey everyone. I am trying to add a time-format to my props.conf file. The source is a csv file containing multiple timestamps for each event. I'm only interested in the first one.

The timestamp looks like this in the event:

15:09:55.128 UTC AUG 31 2011

So in my props.conf I was planning to add something like this:

%H:%M:%S.%q%Z%tUTC%t%b%t%d%t%Y

Is there a more elegant way to handle the time zone being embedded in the middle? I can't find any reference in strptime() to dealing with time zones. Any help would be appreciated. I've tried letting splunk recognize the timestamp but it seems to be screwing up a bit.
Thanks!

Tags (3)
0 Karma

SplunkSE
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I have been told that we use strftime for time formating and for reference in props.conf
http://php.net/manual/en/function.strftime.php

Based on your string -

15:09:55.128 UTC AUG 31 2011
Try this

%H:%M:%S.%3N UTC %h %d %Y

You also need to set the TIME_PREFIX = ^\d+?\s\w{4}:\s+?[ and possibly MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 35 (number of characters to look into the line to find the timestamp

The day depends – is it 1-31 = %e or 01-31 = %d
According to strftime - %t is a tab, I think you just have spaces.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...