Getting Data In

Multiple Splunk indexer with same $SPLUNK_DB location

sujoybose77
Explorer

Hi,
I have $SPLUNK_DB set up in a NAS storage. But the indexer is installed in a VM (say VM1) running on splunk version 6.3.4.
Now I want to migrate the indexers to another VM (VM2) with newer splunk version 6.6.12 keeping the same NAS location as $SPLUNK_DB.
Is it possible? I have heard that no two indexer will see each other's indexed files. Is that true?
In that case what approach I can take to migrate my indexer?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Why would you do this? Working with VMs makes this kind of thing easy so you should not need 2 indexers at the same time. Your forwarders can buffer events for the short time that it would take to upgrade your VM/splunk and have it come back up. You are overcomplicating your situation.

0 Karma

sujoybose77
Explorer

Woodcock, We have organization limitations on VM storage that's not enough to hold large amount of indexed data

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You need to clarify your question. It doesn't make sense to me.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...