Getting Data In

Multiline file, indexes every line

dosjos
Engager

Hi

I have a log file that mainly contains one liners, but the errors that are logged comes as multiple lines and are indexed as "one line, one event", and I do want the complete error message to be logged as one event.

I have seen several solutions to this probem already, but have yet to get it to work.

Can I get a little helt to get my props.conf in order?

This is a sample from my log file, and at the bottom is my props.conf

2015-05-05 08:58:39,036 [7] DEBUG [(null)] - WebMethod InsertNIRData initializing
2015-05-05 08:58:39,037 [7] DEBUG [(null)] - WebMethod HandleExceptionResponse finalizing
2015-05-05 08:58:39,038 [7] ERROR [(null)] - Exception caught
System.Exception
Tilgang til operasjon \"InsertNIRData\" er blokkert av IMDI inntil videre.
   at NIRWebServices.NIRWebServices.InitWebMethodInvoked(WSResponse wsResponse, Object[] wsParams, String memberName)
   at NIRWebServices.NIRWebServices.InsertNIRData(UploadSchema uploadSchema)

System.Exception: Tilgang til operasjon \"InsertNIRData\" er blokkert av IMDI inntil videre.
   at NIRWebServices.NIRWebServices.InitWebMethodInvoked(WSResponse wsResponse, Object[] wsParams, String memberName)
   at NIRWebServices.NIRWebServices.InsertNIRData(UploadSchema uploadSchema)
2015-05-05 09:01:23,649 [19] DEBUG [(null)] - WebMethod GetAllInfoForPersonWithDufnr initializing
2015-05-05 09:01:23,717 [19] DEBUG [(null)] - WcfClientProxy executed successfully!
2015-05-05 09:01:26,729 [19] DEBUG [(null)] - WcfClientProxy executed successfully!
2015-05-05 09:01:39,323 [19] DEBUG [(null)] - WebMethod GetAllInfoForPersonWithDufnr initializing

the props.conf file

[im-app3-file]
    BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE=\d{4}-\d{2}-\d{2}
    NO_BINARY_CHECK=1
    SHOULD_LINEMERGE=true
    TIME_FORMAT=%Y-%d-%m %H:%M:%S,%3Q

Also, what is realy suposed to be within the brackets in the props.conf file?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

There are multiple things that can be in between the brackets but the only thing that can be without any other syntax (prefix) is a sourcetype. So the first question is, is "im-app3-file" your sourcetype (check your inputs.conf file)? You should be fine if you minimize all of your settings reducing down to only the ones you KNOW you need (e.g. get rid of "BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE") and then put this in your props.conf stanza:

BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE_DATE = False

View solution in original post

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

There are multiple things that can be in between the brackets but the only thing that can be without any other syntax (prefix) is a sourcetype. So the first question is, is "im-app3-file" your sourcetype (check your inputs.conf file)? You should be fine if you minimize all of your settings reducing down to only the ones you KNOW you need (e.g. get rid of "BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE") and then put this in your props.conf stanza:

BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE_DATE = False

dosjos
Engager

Thanks, the problem turned out to be the sourcetype declaration that was missing from input.confs. After i added it inside splunk, and rewrote the props.config it now works like it should. Thank you 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...