Getting Data In

Monitoring files from SPLUNK Enterprise server

willadams
Contributor

I just need some help in understanding what is possible. I have a powershell script that I use to gather data from active directory. The powershell script generates a CSV file that I monitor with SPLUNK. SPLUNK is configured to monitor the file. This is on our old AIO (all in one) instance and I have built a new instance with the aim to retire the old AIO. Both these systems are online at the same time and will run parallel until everything is eventually cut over, meaning I can't impact the old system but need the monitored files on the new deployment.

The old instance has a folder (its Windows) that is "D:\FileMonitor". The new instance is a Centos build.

Without impacting the old AIO how do I get the new instance to reference this file? I thought that maybe writing a new app and just creating an inputs.conf file along with an outputs.conf file should do the trick. Would this work without impacting the old AIO but letting me get my data in the new instance? Reading articles such as "https://answers.splunk.com/answers/471936/install-both-universal-forwarder-and-splunk-enterp.html" (Install both Universal Forwarder and Splunk Enterprise on on same Windows server in case the link doesn't show) suggests not to install both the UF and Enterprise on the same server.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It's not clear how the old and new instances are connected. Are you saying you want to forward data from the old instance's D:\FileMonitor file to the new instance?

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...