Getting Data In

Modular Input Scripts Don't Die during Splunk restart

alacercogitatus
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I have written two Modular Inputs for Splunk. Both exhibit the same behavior.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Issue "splunk restart"
  2. ps -ef | grep python

Each Modular Input Data Input python script is orphaned after the restart, and when Splunk starts back up, it instantiates a new python process for each Data Input. Very quickly causes the box to become unresponsive, especially during dev work. I have not noticed this behavior on Windows or Mac OS X.

Linux: Ubuntu Linux #46-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jul 27 17:23:50 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Example:

ps -ef yields:
root 28238 28237 0 19:36 ? 00:00:01 python /opt/splunkbeta/etc/apps/GoogleApps/bin/googleapps.py

splunk stop

ps -ef yields:
root 28238 1 0 19:36 ? 00:00:01 python /opt/splunkbeta/etc/apps/GoogleApps/bin/googleapps.py

Am I missing something or is this a bug?

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

I also experienced this and have raised the issue.
In the meantime, you can look at how I implemented a workaround for my JMS Messaging Modular Input :
https://github.com/damiendallimore/SplunkModularInputsJavaFramework/tree/master/jms

Basically the mod input script (jms.py) writes a PID file that gets checked upon startup.
Also, the Java program that the jms.py script executes has some simple logic to check whether Splunk is still up , and if not , kills itself.

This ensures that for "splunk start|restart" there will only be 1 mod input process running , and for "splunk stop" there will be zero mod input processes running.

View solution in original post

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...