Getting Data In

Metrics indexes missing in REST-API listing?

DATEVeG
Path Finder

Hi,

we created an index overview dashboard for our users. They get a list of all available indexes, the retention time per index and if the current user has access permissions for that index. Nice 🙂
The basis for that index listing is the following query:

| rest /services/data/indexes 

Now with Splunk 7.x we are also using the new metric store. However the new metric indexes are not shown in the above query!

There already seems to be a new field datatype, which should indicate the index type (metric or event): http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.1.1/RESTREF/RESTintrospect#data.2Findexes
But all this doesn't count, because metrics indexes aren't shown at all.

This is happing for us in version 7.0 and also in version 7.1.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks!
- Lorenz

0 Karma
1 Solution

thaggie_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi Lorenz,

We didn't want to return metrics indexes by default as people with existing code would suddenly start to get indexes that needed to be queried in a different way.

In the link you gave the first parameter listed for GET /data/indexes is "datatype", this can be "all", "event" or "metric" - "event" is the default.

So to list all indexes:

| rest /services/data/indexes datatype=all

View solution in original post

thaggie_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi Lorenz,

We didn't want to return metrics indexes by default as people with existing code would suddenly start to get indexes that needed to be queried in a different way.

In the link you gave the first parameter listed for GET /data/indexes is "datatype", this can be "all", "event" or "metric" - "event" is the default.

So to list all indexes:

| rest /services/data/indexes datatype=all
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...