Getting Data In

Metrics Index - How to get metric_searchtime field value in search result

shadabgaur

I uploaded a csv file in metric index. I can see index's data there is no issue in that.

My query is:
I want to get metric_timestamp in search query to perform some action on that. Is it possible to use "metric_timestamp" field in mstat commands? I always get error whenever I tried to apply any statistical function (i.e. latest etc) on "metric_timestamp" or used it as a dimension field (where index=xyz by metric_timestamp).

mcatalog just displays the schema, not the values from "metric_timestamp" field.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

0 Karma
1 Solution

thaggie_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

For mstats to project by time you need to give it a span, so queries of the form:

| mstats avg("abc") WHERE index="xyz" span=10s

It's not possible to aggregate time, so you can't do things like latest("_time").

View solution in original post

0 Karma

thaggie_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

For mstats to project by time you need to give it a span, so queries of the form:

| mstats avg("abc") WHERE index="xyz" span=10s

It's not possible to aggregate time, so you can't do things like latest("_time").

0 Karma

shadabgaur

Thanks for quick response Thaggie. So, we cannot use this field "metric_timestamp" in anywhere in our search except spanning the chart based on it.

0 Karma

thaggie_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

That's right

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...