Getting Data In

Mac OS X Sierra - How to get all logs from the Unified Log database?

managed_securit
Engager

Couldn't find a similar question to this one. How are people retrieving logs from Mac OS X Sierra that are in the Unified Logging Database? This was a new logging technology released with Sierra (think it's stored in a binary database). It has way better and more detailed logs compared to the deprecated system.log file. There is practically nothing going to the system.log file in newer OS X versions... Ideally, I'd like to output data from the database and append it to the system.log file so it can get picked up with the rest of our old fashioned syslog (and be forwarded by using an old fashioned forwarding server over udp:514.) The asl.conf appears to be superseded by the Unified Logging as well. Any ideas?

johanwalles
Engager

@yannK, when do you think Splunk will get built-in support for ingesting logs from OS X Sierra and above?

managed_securit
Engager

I was afraid this might be the answer. In our current case we prefer to have real-time logs so that we could use some alerting. Having a script running a tail on the logs output is not ideal, but something I had thought of.

I'm reading your info on modular inputs, but it's a little confusing. I don't see a difference between using that vs a shell script.

0 Karma

chris
Motivator

Hi managed_security what did you end up setting up? Any chance that you could share a modular input if you set on up?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...